Prologue

Location: The Island of Patch, Kingdom of Vale

Rose/Xiao Long Household

Summer POV

Ruby: Do you have to go, mommy?

That is my daughter, Ruby Rose. My little petal. My sunshine. She is very young, but deep down, I know she will turn into a fine woman one day.

Summer: I do my little petal; I'm sorry. Mommy has a huntress mission. But, to make it up to you, I will bake your favourite cookies when I return. Is that a deal?

Ruby: YAY! Yes, mommy! 

She shuffles over as fast as her little 3-year-old legs can muster and wraps her fat little arms around my leg; Gods, she is so adorable. 

I pick her up into my arms and give her a big squeeze. 

Summer: Okay, Rosebud, now, be a good girl for Yang and your father while I'm gone. I will know if you act up.

I say with a stern voice.

She giggles.

Ruby: Of course, Mommy, I will be good.

I look at her with pride in my eyes.

Summer: That's what I like to hear! Now, go on. The sooner I get this done, the sooner we can have cookies and milk!

I put Ruby on the floor.

Ruby runs off into the living room, most likely to bug her sister. When I heard about Raven's disappearing act, I was furious. Not only did she break Taiyang's heart, but she abandoned Yang as a mother. When Tai called me up while on a mission, I dropped everything and rushed to Patch to comfort him. I admit I had a pretty big crush on Tai back in Beacon, and it broke my heart to see him choose Raven. Of course, I never said it out loud. Qrow was there to eat ice cream to make me feel better. He's a good man, a little drunk nowadays, but an excellent huntsman. He tried to ask me out after Tai chose Raven, but I had to turn him down. My heart truly belonged to Tai, even when he didn't choose me. My selfish side and the result of suppressed feelings got the better of me, and I kissed him when I arrived at Patch that day. I thought he would throw me off and kick me out of his house, but surprisingly, he leaned in and accepted my kiss right then and there on his porch. Since then, we fell in love and had Ruby. Of course, I took Yang as my flesh and blood. 

My thoughts are interrupted by a voice.

???: Ruby give you any trouble?

I turn around to see my handsome husband, Taiyang. 

Summer: Hehe, yeah, she did. She almost didn't want me to leave. I had to bribe her with my world-renowned Summer Rose cookies. She can be pretty stubborn at times. I wonder where she got that from?

I give Tai a smirk.

He chuckles.

Tai: Both of us? You were the same back in Beacon, Oh noble leader.

I can practically hear the smugness radiating off him from that last comment.

I playfully swat his arm.

Summer: Wow, what a low blow, Xiao Long.

I lose my smile, my thoughts dwelling back to Raven.

Tai notices my downcast expression and squeezes my hand.

Tai: Raven made her choice, Sum. To this day, I don't know why she left, but I can't change that. You can't change it either. So let's make the best of what we have right now, okay, love?