2|Atelophobia

Atelophobia
(n.) The fear of imperfection. The fear of not being good enough.

 The fear of not being good enough

Y/n's POV

The question hit me. Shook my body up. I didn't know what to say. I was fresh out of ideas. I looked at her. She wore a faint royal blue dress and a pink bow in her silver hair. Her wrinkles seemed to bother her a lot. Alas, there was nothing I could do. I wasn't even too sure what her curse was. Every time she tried to tell me, her mouth would shut tightly. I could feel her melancholy. She seemed happy and free at this moment though. Then again, so did I. The air was humid, but not too dewy. It was just right. The smell of nature gradually increased as Calcifer continued moving the castle.

"Mmmm, I was taken in by a witch." I tried to sound as genuine as possible when stringing my story together. I could tell her the truth, but I could also not tell her everything.

"I was abandoned by my real parents, so she raised me. Taught me everything I know today." I smiled. Sophie smiled back. I saw the look in her eyes falter for a moment. The usual tired and worn-out look in her eyes was replaced with that of serenity.

"Is she still with us?" I didn't exactly know what to say. If I said yes, Sophie would likely start asking me more questions, but if I said no, she would ask me questions about her death. It was a hard choice.

"Yeah, I haven't been in contact with her for a while." That was a lie. Heen had been spying on me. I knew I had to watch my every move. That dog of hers. I didn't even know where it was. It could be observing me right now, without me knowing. I rolled my eyes and sighed, leaning on the metal in front of me, ensuring I didn't fall over.

"Ah, I see." That was all she said. Though I had my expectations, I wasn't surprised. She was probably about to go clean again anyway. Just as I predicted, she pulled away from the balcony and went back inside to clean. I could only hope that she wouldn't go against my warning. That she should be careful of what to clean and what not to clean.

Timeskip...

Howl's POV

I walked through the door completely sluggish. Calcifer greeted me with the same old song and dance,

"If you keep going out like that, someday, you won't be able to change back." I slouched down into the chair in front of him and leaned my head back. My feathered form slowly faded. I groaned as I felt my body return to its normal form. We held a small conversation. Mostly about the status of the kingdom. Which was now ablaze.

"Calcifer, run me a hot bath," I said and started walking away. Before I went upstairs, I checked behind the emerald curtain that Sophie slept behind. So that's her curse... I thought she looked familiar. I let her sleep as I walked away, up to my bath. I turned on the tap, making the house shake a bit. As I sat in the steamy water, my thoughts drifted away to A/n. She was something else. Her powers reminded me a lot of someone I used to know. Too much. She knew about ancient magic. At least from the looks of how she was about to remove the sigil before I did it. She used verbal magic. Not many people knew how to do that. Who could've taught her that? Surely she didn't have any family if she sought to stay here. With... me. That's when I heard my thoughts. I slapped myself in embarrassment. Why was I even thinking about her? Though I knew of her magic, I still noticed her anxious state. She was always really tense. Alert. She couldn't have been the witch of the waste's spy. My room ensured that she wouldn't be able to find this castle. Let alone her henchmen. That would include humans. Shaking off all thoughts, I started scrubbing my body and washing my hair. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door rapidly.