9|Atonement

Atonement

(n.) reparation for a wrong or injury

) reparation for a wrong or injury

Some moments passed by. You were close to dozing off, but a soft knock kept your gears turning. The door creaked open and in walked Sophie. She looked as young as yourself. Her features were simply beautiful.

"I was going to check on the old witch, would you like to come with? I'm sure she'd appreciate the company." You didn't see why not, so you stopped what you were doing and got up. The floor sang under you feet as you made your way to the older lady's bed. Sophie placed a cup of hot milk on the bedside table and the both of you said your good nights. A single comment from the witch immediately made you tense.

"You're in love." It would be extremely awkward if she meant to direct it at Sophie, but luckily that wasn't the case. She was looking straight at you. Her eyes were nearly glowing with jealousy.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," you brushed off, acting as if you were clueless to your own misery. That was missing Howl.

"Oh hush, I may be a fragile old lady... but I know love when I see it." Sophie looked at you, clearly holding back a laugh. You hated to admit it, but she was right. Your heart burned for Howl, whilst Howl's heart just literally burned. What made matters worse was that you knew you couldn't openly be with him. He was dangerous to your image and madam Suliman was out to get you.

"It's okay, Y/n. I've been there. I suggest you keep yourself afloat. The longer you remain strong, the more your bond will hold." As much as she was 'evil', she was right. She was absolutely right. You needed to stay strong for Howl. Of course you did. Who knows what he'd do if you let yourself go?

Sunshine hit your face. Time seemed to fly by faster and faster the more you thought about Howl. You heard voices downstairs, so you figured you'd get out of bed to go check who it was. It definitely didn't sound like the witch of the waste. Your room being in Howl's room was heavy on your heart now that he was gone. You knew he'd come back, but it still felt odd. You tiptoed gently, doing your best to avoid the many knickknacks scattered around Howl's room. At last, you made it down the stairs and saw Sophie. She was talking to someone you'd never seen before. The woman had blond hair. She was wearing a yellow dress and rambling on about her new husband. Is this her mother? When the grey-haired girl turned to you, the young blonde followed suit, eyeing you up and down.

"Ah, who might you be, darling?" She seemed nice.

"L/n Y/n, ma'am. It's nice to meet you," you answered awkwardly. She gave you a hefty smile and turned around to face Sophie again.

"Well, I've ought to get going. I totally forgot my car. It's waiting outside." The door slammed shut and the muffled sounds of the lady kept playing. A small purple bag was left on the hardwood table. It looked exactly like the bags Madam Suliman would give you to put your failed cursed items in. She had those exact pouches.