S1 E5 - A Fair World {Part 2}

As Ji-ah was peacefully sleeping, she was shook awake by Gi-hun, he announced.

"It's yours and Player 240's turn to keep watch. 001's got a fever."

Ji-ah nodded and contemplated getting out of bed since she was actually comfy for once, but she slapped her face to wake her up. And it worked because she got out of bed and met up with 240.

The 2 girls sat in a comfortable silence until 240 asked out of the blue.

"What's up with you and 067? You two looked to be close, almost attached at the hip and now you're not even speaking or looking at each other. Did you fall out?"

Ji-ah sighed and replied.

"I'm not too sure, to be honest. I mean, yeah, we are close since we were best friends for years, but Sae-byeok is a girl who doesn't trust easy, if you couldn't tell. And I know I shouldn't feel offended that my best friend doesn't trust me, but I know why she doesn't."

240 asked again.

"And why does she not trust you?"

Ji-ah got into explaining.

"When I was 16, I moved to England with my mum because she was very ill. And over in England, you get free health care, and my aunt was also a nurse so she offered to help out. But when I left, we was in a bit of a rush, so I didn't get to say goodbye to any of my friends. Sae-byeok included. And when I was young, I promised Sae-byeok that I would never leave her side, no matter what happens. But I broke that promise when I left without saying goodbye to her or even explaining why I was leaving."

240 hummed and stated.

"Well, I could see why she would lose trust in you, but I can also see why you didn't tell her that you was leaving. Your mother was your first priority since she was ill and Sae-byeok was more of a "tell later" kind of thing. But why is she not speaking to you now?"

Ji-ah shrugged and responded.

"I'm not too sure, but it could be because of this whole game thing. Anyone can betray you, even if they're on the same side as you. So you have to be very cautious in choosing who to trust and who not to trust because you just may never know what might happen."

240 nodded and Ji-ah laughed a little before announcing.

"We have this thing that only us two do. When we're making a promise, we link pinkies and Sae-byeok asks "Always?", and I reply with an "Always." It's a thing we do to make sure that we don't break a promise, because if we do, that "Always", will just turn into something that means nothing anymore. We haven't made that kind of promise yet, but I have a feeling that we might in the future. I don't know when, but time will tell."

240 was intrigued with what Ji-ah was saying and slightly admired her for it. But as they both started to get tired, it was time for another pair to take watch.

After sleeping for a good few hours, everyone was woken up by a very loud siren that sounded like one you would use for an air raid. But as the lights turned on and everyone jumped from the sound, they wondered what it was for.

Soon, the guards came rushing in and the announcer was speaking.

"Attention, all players please make your way to the center of the room."

She repeated it and everyone shuffled to the center of the room, extremely confused. The siren kept going off and Ji-ah was beginning to get a headache from it. She wondered what was going on, but she knew that whatever it was, wasn't good.