Prologue

"Hello and welcome to New Mexico's number one NewsChannel. I'm your host Olivia Downing. We have an urgent alert about the bombings in Washington DC."

I grab the remote and turn the volume up on the television. Olivia's dressed in her usual slick and tight navy-blue dress that she always wears. I'm guessing Arnold Dash; the other newscaster, isn't working today.

Olivia clicks her tongue right before she speaks. Her face is adorned with makeup, but her expression is nothing but serious. "The White House has officially evacuated. We have confirmation that there are missiles on their way to the White House now. The Air Force is currently trying to draw them away, but there seems to be no advancement." She shifts her weight onto her other foot, causing her silver heals to glisten in the harsh stage lights.

"Fuck." I say under my breath. I put the remote back on the coffee table. I didn't notice I was squeezing it as hard as I was until I felt the tingle of my numb fingers. "Ethan! Hurry up!" My voice is quick and harsh. I want him to know that this is urgent, but the last thing I want to do is scare him. "Please!" I add.

My attention turns back to the television.

Olivia's hand goes to the earpiece in her ear, and her expression changes from serious to downright terrified. "Breaking!" She says, her voice almost hiccupping over the word. "The White House has been struck. I repeat, the White House has been hit."

"Ethan!" This time I don't care if I scare him. "We need to go, now!"

"I'm coming, Mom!" Ethan appears from the hallway, suitcase in hand. I reach my shaking arms out and wrap them around him. His eyes stare wide at the screen.

"What happened?" He asks.

"The White House is gone," I say, trying not to let my voice break. "Did you pack everything you wanted to bring?"

"Yeah, I think so. Where are we going again?" He pulls his eyes away from the sight of the smoking building on the TV.

"Somewhere safe," I say with a half-smile. "Let's go. I'll grab my stuff."

Olivia speaks again on the television. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have to report that many missiles are now on their way to the United States. We do not know their touch-down points, but hopefully, New Mexico will be safe."

Quickly, I grab the bags sitting on the couch behind me and push Ethan towards the front door. Not caring about locking it, I slam it behind me and keep edging Ethan forward. "To the car, honey," I say.

We walk down the driveway and into the doors of my SUV. I frantically search my purse for my keys and shove them in the ignition. Before I can back out, I hear my name from outside the window.

"Joanna?"

I look out the window and see my neighbor, John, walking toward the car. His flannel isn't long enough to hide his beer belly, and his white mustache covers his top lip. The thinning gray hair on his head has a soft shine. The setting sun behind him casts a shadow onto the car.

The breath catches in my throat. "Hey, John," I say, trying not to act like I'm in a hurry.

"It's probably safer to stay at your house, and there's no way they'll—" He looks to Ethan in the passenger-side seat. "Do anything to us here." He says, his circle glasses glistening in the sunlight.

"I'm just going to see some family." I force a smile. I grip the steering wheel hard to stop my arms from shaking.

"With packed bags?" He eyes the bags in the back seat and Ethan's backpack on his lap.

"Yes, we're staying with them for a few days."

"Ah, I see," His nose twitches. I can sense the distrustful tone in his voice.

"Stay safe, John," I say and roll up the window, not giving him a chance to say anything back. I put my car into reverse and back out of the driveway and onto the road.

"Is what John said true?" Ethan asks.

I lift an eyebrow.

"That here is safe?" Ethan adds.

"I'm not sure, honey. Leaving New Mexico is just a precaution."

"We're not going to grandma's or Aunt Michelle's, are we?" I hear Ethan's voice quiver.

I sigh with a shaky breath. "No, I have another place we can go."

"What about Dad?" Ethan asks.

"Um," My heart feels like it will beat out of my chest. "Dad will meet us there."

I turn the knob of the radio and tune into the news station. A man's troubled voice comes out through the speakers. "Almost every state on the East Coast has been hit." His voice cracks. "I'd advise finding shelter now."

"Fuck." I say under my breath.

"What's wrong?" Ethan asks.

"I just hope we can get there in time."

I reach my hand into my purse and pull out a piece of gold cardstock paper. I glace down at the embroidered words and scan them again.

Print Name of Applicant(s): Joanna and Ethan Cooper

Number of Applicants: 2

Ticket Awarded by: Gift

Boarding Date: May 7th, 2120

Boarding Sight: Campo Frio, Mexico

Boarding Gate: 3

Applicant Status: Regular Admission

Signed in small metallic lettering at the bottom of the card is the name:

Henry Smith