Chapter 21

The flashing red lights fill the tunnels, making them look caked in blood. The screaming that fills my ears makes my stomach drop. I pass many bodies just lying on the floor, covered in blood. Some bodies have their family members hunched down next to them, pleading for them to wake up. Tears don't fall on my cheeks until I see a child on the ground, blood running out of their mouth, and their skull caved in like a squished pumpkin. My legs burn as I scramble with Paige. I clench my jaw as I step over another body. Don't look. Don't look at them, Ethan.

My thoughts feel like they're running a mile a minute. My eyes snap from person to person, looking for Dally's familiar face. I swallow hard when I can't find him. Where did he go? He was right next to us. The only explanation is that he's already at the gate, patiently waiting for Paige and me. He wouldn't stay in the Hub, would he? Would he wait until it's clear to make sure we're not lying on the floor dead? My stomach drops at the thought of leaving him behind. My gut tells me I need to go back and look for him before the oxygen runs out. But what if it does, and I'm stranded and choking on my last breaths? I couldn't do that to Paige. I need to get her to safety, whatever that means.

I decide to go to Gate 5. That's where Dally should be waiting for us. Luckily, Gate 5 isn't the closest to the entrance of the tunnels, so there shouldn't be that many people trying to push through it—less trampling.

As I make my way down a hallway, I see a family frantically pushing each other in different directions, not knowing where to go. Why would they? The tunnels have been previously restricted since the day the bombs fell. "Follow me!" I yell at them, but they stare blankly at me. An older man looks me up and down, disgust written on his features. He shakes his head, pulling the little girl next to him closer to his body. Walking past him, I hear him whisper: "Murderer."

I push the comment to the back of my mind and let my feet take me down the tunnels I know so well and back to the gate we heard the knock at. When I turn the corner, I'm met abruptly with a sea of people. I would estimate that about a hundred people are standing before me. My eyes peer over their heads, and I see Gate 5 looking back at me.

It's not open yet.

A loud bang fills my ears, causing my eyes to focus on the people in front of the crowd. Another bang. Another. I see the first few people at the gate slamming the metal with closed fists. My breath catches in my throat when I see a man bash his head into the gate. Pushing erupts through the crowd. People fall to the ground on top of each other; the people at the front are pinned to the gate by the horde of people. Roaring fills my ears, and my whole body clenches at people's high-pitched wailing. This is madness.

I search the crowd for Dally, but his long dark hair is nowhere to be seen. The hope drops from my chest, and worry bubbles through my skin. I almost turn back and head toward the Hub, making sure he's not lying on the ground dead. But, when alarms blare through the corridor, the red lights above the gate flashing rapidly, I stay put.

The puff of the gate's airlock system opening echoes through my ears, and I can see it start to rise—air spills inside, making my hair flap against my sweaty forehead. I hold my breath, still scared the air outside is toxic. But I take a deep breath once I see no one falling to their knees, faces blue and choking on air. Nothing happens. I breathe normally.

I knew it. The air's not toxic.

Earth's gritty, almost metallic scent fills my nostrils in seconds, and I'm taken back. The nostalgic smell makes the hair on my arms stand up straight. It's like the planet is a distant memory, and I've been in space for the past six years. Suddenly, I'm in my mother's garden, helping her plant tomatoes at seven years old. I can practically feel the soft soil between my fingers and under my nails, the bright sun warming my skin, and the gentle breeze winding through my hair.