Chapter 20

I know my heart shouldn't flutter seeing Paige, but it does. And it gives me mixed feelings. Not only did she turn me into her father while I was in hiding, but she also kept the reason we're friends a secret from me for years. That's grounds for never talking to her again. And if it was a perfect world, that's what would happen. But I can't help my feelings for her, even though she'll never talk to me again.

She stands in the middle of the crowd in the same clothes she was wearing when I saw her last, a navy blue tank top and grey sweatpants, except this time, they're covered in her father's blood. Her hair is still in a bun, but some front pieces have fallen and are dangling around her round face. The people nearest to her gasp at her appearance, knowing she's the Founder's daughter and the fact that she looks like— that would raise suspicion in itself, but everyone can see the Founder's missing hand, and I'm assuming they believe she had something to do with it.

She steps closer to the front of the Hub, and the surrounding people step back and pull their children away in fear. If it were a different situation, I would be glad to see Richlings in such a shock, but I'm the reason for this mess.

Mr. Smith eyes his daughter with scrunched eyebrows. "Don't be alarmed. She did nothing wrong." He says. "She was there to help me when Ethan assaulted me and cut off my hand." His voice echoes through the microphone, causing a sharp noise from the speakers.

The crowd starts yelling obscenities at me. I can't help but stare straight ahead. I have no idea if I should begin to explain myself or stay quiet. I can feel my face becoming hot from anger. These people have no idea what happened and are quick to believe what they have been told. It makes me furious. I bet they'd think there were monsters in the tunnels if Mr. Smith told them so.

Paige raises her arms and waves them in the air. "Everyone, look at me! Listen to me! He's lying to you. The air outside is breathable! There are people outside! We heard them at the gates!"

Mr. Smith laughs nervously. "Don't be silly now, Paige." He shuffles his feet, letting a little anxiety escape his posh stance. "I'm sorry for my daughter's outburst. She's been through a lot tonight."

A Richling from the front of the crowd steps forward. It's an older man with a big belly, and he's wearing an evergreen silk pajama set. "Is what she's saying true?" He takes the matching bedtime hat off his head and grips it in his hands.

"Of course not." Mr. Smith fakes a laugh. "Why would I keep that from my people?"

"We have evidence!" Paige yells. She digs into her pocket, pulls out a flash drive, and waves it through the air. "Just give me a computer to plug this in, and you'll see!"

Mr. Smith's eyes widen. "Paige, why don't you come into the Control Room, and we can discuss why you're upsetting people with this false narrative?"

"I also have evidence that Ethan was innocent in John Chapman's death!" Paige yells, ignoring her father.

"You do?" I let escape my mouth. Mr. Smith turns to me like he forgot I was standing beside him. His dark eyes met mine, and in that second, I knew who had deleted the footage of the murderer going into that hallway bathroom. It was him.

"I knew you did it," I say just loud enough for him to hear.

The crowd's whispering has become full-blow outbursts. I hear some Richlings on the ground below me talking about Paige. "All she's doing is trying to free her boyfriend." A guy I recognize from one of my classes says to a girl beside him. Even though my chest fills with warmth at the thought of them thinking I'm her boyfriend, I still make my face look unfazed.

"Put it on the big screen!" A Grub yells from one of the staircases.

"Now, let's not feed into her nonsense." Mr. Smith says. He turns to the guard beside him and whispers something into his ear. Then, the guard leaves his position and motions for more guards to follow. They're going to restrain Paige.