Chapter 5

I can't move. A gun is pointing at me. I'm scared that any muscle movement will provoke it to shoot.

The two guards stand before us in their green and gray uniforms. Helmets cover their faces, as well as darkened glasses. The guns that the guards are holding look like AK47s. Surprisingly, one of the men lowers his weapon.

"Miss Smith? Is that you?" He says.

Paige clears her throat. "Yes, it's me," She puts her hands up in front of her. "Now, tell your friend to put his gun down."

"Beasley?" The guard says to the other. Beasley glances at him before lowering his gun.

"What are you doing out after curfew?" The first guard says.

Almost like she had it already planned out in her head, Paige puffs up her chest and gives a convincing smile. "My father sent us out here to clean up this mess." She motions to the glass on the ground. "He didn't want anyone to find out that teenagers were out here drinking, so he sent us to clean it up."

Beasley and the other guard didn't look convinced. They both stare at Dally and me. We look like Grubs, and that means instant judgment. I stand with my breath caught in my throat and my hands in my jacket pockets.

"Are you sure?" Beasley says. "Two men out in the restricted area with the founder's daughter? That doesn't look good. Are you sure they're not hurting you?"

Of course. The only thing that can come to the guard's puny brains is that Dally and I are some perverts coming here to ruin Paige.

"No, of course not!" Paige looks back at Dally and me. "They're my friends."

"Ha!" The other guard laughs.

"What's wrong with that?" I speak up.

"Was I talking to you, Grub?" Beasley says. "Shut it before I tackle you to the ground."

"Don't speak to him that way," Paige says, her fingers in fists.

"That's what they are." The other guard says with a hint of smugness in his voice.

"What's your name, soldier?" Paige asks. "I want to know to tell my father who to fire when I speak to him. And who will be moved down in rank and become a Grub himself."

The guard looks to his companion, then back at Paige. He studders. "E—Evans, ma'am." He shuffles his feet. "Don't uh—tell your father, please."

Paige starts to walk towards the hallway leading to the tunnel's exit. "Now, if you let us leave without harm, I will keep my mouth shut."

"What about the mess?" Beasley says, eyeing the glass still covering the floor.

"We're cleaning it now," I say.

Evans takes a step forward. "Are you sure your father would tell you to clean up this mess without talking to someone first?"

"My father did tell someone. He told General Fox. If you don't believe me, then you can ask him yourself. But I wouldn't wake a sleeping giant if I were you."

"I still think we should make sure, Miss Smith. Just for your safety," Beasley says.

"You don't trust us," Dally says more of a statement than a question. He leans against the rock wall beside the gate, his hands are in his pants pockets, and his feet are crossed at the boots. I don't know how he's so calm in this situation. My heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest.

Beasley speaks; his tone is condescending. "Sorry to tell you, but no."

"You want to wake the Founder up from a dead sleep and ask him about something he already confirmed with General Fox earlier today? Do you want to get on my father's bad side?" Paige huffs.