Planning

Alexis, school starts in thirty minutes. You better be ready soon my mother, I mean Lisa, says. I roll over. Ive just decided that Im not going to school. I lay in my bed for the next twenty minutes. Lisa comes into my room and is startled when she notices that I am still home. Alexis? What are you doing? Youre going to be late for school! You need to get up! she says and I just lay there, not caring. Lisa leaves the room.

I have no idea how much time has passed when my father walks in. He sits on my bed and starts to talk to me. Lex, I know that yesterday was hard on you and we should have gone about it a different way. I just want you to know that I will be here all day if you need to talk to me. I really hope that you will get up today. Well, Ill be here my father says as he pats my leg. He stands up to leave and I roll over to cover myself up. My face is expressionless.

I spend the next several days in bed, only getting up to go to the bathroom and getting water. My father tries to get me to get out of bed. My mind is blank. I dont think I will ever be normal again. One day when both my father and Lisa are gone, I get out of bed and get dressed. Im not quite sure exactly whats going to happen. My father gives me an allowance and I never really spend money on anything. I have about $2,000 saved up. I pack up a suitcase and a backpack. I go into my fathers study and look for a piece of paper that I am sure he has. I find it and walk out the front door. I take a train to the airport. I buy a one-way ticket. I have three hours before my flight leaves. I wander around the airport, trying to waste time.

I sit down by my gate and scroll on my phone. Eventually, 4:30 rolls around and its time to board the plane. I get to my seat and put my carry-on up and sit down. I put an eye mask on and put my earbuds in. I close my eyes and try to sleep through this flight. Finally, seven hours later, the plane lands. My phone starts buzzing with all of the phone calls and texts that I have missed. My father and Lisa have been blowing up my phone.

I ignore the calls and texts and continue on. I take a cab to Manchester and then another cab to Moordale. We come upon this large red house at 43 Asheford street. I get my things out of the cab and thank the driver. I notice a car parked out front so someone must be home. I walk toward the house. I prepare myself to knock on the door. Once I calm my nerves as best as I can, I knock on the door. Just a moment I hear a woman shout. I wait patiently.