Getting Help

"Alexis? Hello? I am asking you a question" he starts yelling at me. I spring up out of the chair and I take off down the hall. I run quickly to get away. I get to the girls' bathroom on the west end of the building on the second floor. I get into the last stall, lock the door, and curl into a ball in the corner. I start crying. Groff comes on the intercom, "Alexis Milburn to the Headmaster's office. Alexis Milburn to the Headmaster's office." I stay in the corner. I can't talk about it again. Especially not to Groff. He wouldn't understand. I can't call anyone because Groff still has my phone.

I stay in this spot for almost an hour. People come and go from the bathroom. I miss lunch and fourth period. The door opens when fifth period is about halfway through. "Alexis? Are you in here?" I hear Groff say. I say nothing. "Alexis, dear, please come out" I hear my mum say. I must have made a noise or something because I hear my mother say, "I've got it from here, Headmaster."

My mother comes to the stall door and unlocks it. "Oh, darling. Are you okay?" she says as she kneels on the ground beside me. I look at her. I sit up and I start crying. "Mum. I didn't mean to do it. I can't do this anymore." I say. Mum sits down next to me and she holds me as I sob. Once I calm down enough to speak, I tell her what happened, all of it. 

My mother walks me to the car and goes back inside to talk to Groff. She comes out an hour later, her face red and an angry look on her face. She gets in the car and hands me my phone. "That Groff is an arsehole" Mum says. We go home and before I can seclude myself in my room, my mother stops me. "Lexi, we need to talk about this. It's obvious now that you need to talk to someone about this. I have been patient with you, but we need to get you some help. " my mum says.

"I don't want to go talk to some stranger about this." I say. "Can I talk to you, Mum?" I ask. "If you want to talk to me about this, I will be more than happy to" Mum says, a hint of happiness in her voice.