chapter 21- goblet of fire

Kelly's POV:

The great hall looks its usual splendid self, decorated for the start-of-term feast. Golden plates and goblets gleam by the light of hundred and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in midair.

Fred gives me a kiss and heads off to the Gryffindor table with his brother and Lee while Cedric, Alana, and I head to the Hufflepuffs.

Many whispers can be heard as I walk to the table, and for once in my life, I feel everyone's eyes on me.

"So it's true then?" a boy from my house asks.

"What's true?"

"It's true your brother has become a Death Eater, and he escaped Azkaban?" the boy says.

"Wh- How did you find this out?"

"It's all over the Daily Prophet. Rita Skeeter has written a whole article about it. You didn't know?"

"No..."

"Oh er, well here you go." The boy hands me the paper, horror, and rage fill seep through my skin as I read each and every word.

"How could she do this?" I whisper to my friends as we take our seats at the end of the table.

"Because, she's Rita Skeeter," Alana says in the most annoying high-pitched voice, "she somehow knows everyone's business and then feels the need to write about it."

"Don't let her get you down Kells," Cedric reassures me, "nobody knows the full story besides the people you've told. But, I suggest you don't mention anything important this year, especially because my father's told me that she will be here at the school for some event."

"Oh, ok."

I only have two words to say to you." Dumbledore told us, his voice echoing in the hall, "Tuck in."

The food appeared before Dumbledore's longs speech this year, so we all ate as fast as we could.

~~

The buzz of chatter filling the Hall ceased almost at once, so that only the howling wind and pounding rain can be heard.

"So!" says Dumbledore, smiling around at all of us. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give a few notices."

"Mr.Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle this year has been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched. He continues, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the first on the grounds is out-of-bounds o students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year."

"It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" Ced screams as he grips his hair.

"Yes, yes, very sad, very sad indeed," says Dumbledore, "but, Mr. Diggory, I can assure you there are better events planned this year. So, let's get on with it shall we?"

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy -- but I assure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts --"

But at that moment, there was a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors of the Great Hall banged open.

A man stood in the doorway, leaning upon a long staff, shrouded in a black traveling cloak.

Mad-Eye?

"Who's that?" Alana asks me after all the commotion dies down.

"That's Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody. He's an ex-Auror who used to work with my father."

"Well, what's he doing here-"

"May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" interrupts Dumbledore, "Professor Moody."

"As I was saying," he said, smiling at the sea of students before him, who were still gazing at Mad-Eye Moody, "we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" says Fred loudly.

The tension that was filling the Hall ever since Moody's arrival broke. Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," he said, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar..."

Professor McGonagall clears her throat loudly.

"Er -- but maybe this is not the time ... no ..." says Dumbledore, "where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament ... well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely."

~~

"The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween...."

Fred makes eye contact with me from across the hall, implying that he would be joining the tournament.

"...Only students who are of age -- that is to say, seventeen years or older -- will be allowed to put forth their names for consideration. This" --

Looking over at the Gryffindor table, I see that Fred and George look extremely furious.

~~

"They can't do that!" says George, who had joined us on our way back to the common rooms. "We're seventeen in April, why can't we have a shot?"

"They're not stopping me from entering," says Fred stubbornly, also scowling.

"Oh yeah? And how do you reckon that will happen?" asks Alana.

"Dunno," says Fred, "but it's them we'll have to fool. I reckon a couple of drops of Aging Potion might do it, George..."

"Dumbledore knows you're not fo age, though," says Ced, "besides, I actually am of age. An I am actually going to enter."

"Your joking Ced? You to Fred. People get seriously hurt in these events, are you both mad?"

'Maybe, " they say simultaneously, "and besides, that was years ago, wasn't it? Anyway, where's the fun without a bit of risk?"

"Alright, Mr. Toughguy. How about you three sleep on it. Then, you can decide if you enter or not. Sound good?"

"Fineeeee," the three of them wined.

"Good night Kells," Fred says as he kisses my lips and gives me a tight hug.

"Good night Freddie. I'll see you tomorrow. Get some sleep, you'll need it for class."

"Good night everyone," we all say as we separate to each of our common rooms.

"Good night Ced, night Alana. I love you both."

"Good night Kells, we love you too."

Another year at Hogwarts, and something tells me it won't end well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goblet of Fire has officially begun! You know what that means... SMUT! (coming soon-ish)

Have a great morning/afternoon/night!

~s