Chapter 2: Nick

Landing on my couch, I let out a low groan. Sixteen hours. I had been at work, on my feet and rushing around, for sixteen bloody hours. I couldn't even feel my feet, but I knew they were sore.

Letting out another groan, I clumsily kicked my shoes off and just remained where I was. A quick nap, then I would change out of my scrubs and shower. My socks proved too much of a challenge to get off, so I just left them. Too much effort required. I had probably been asleep for a few minutes when I heard someone pounding at my door. Ignoring it, I tried to get back to sleep.

Hearing a key turn, I let out another groan- the only person who had a key to my place was my sister.

"Why did I give her a key?"

"Because you love me" Marie dropped her bag, landing on my table with a thud. I felt her pull my socks off, then the sound of them being dropped to the floor.

"What do you want?" My voice was muffled by the cushions of the couch, but she heard me- if the way she threw my feet off the couch was anything to go by. I felt her sink into the couch, obviously making herself comfortable.

"Actually. I was wondering if you were still hunting for a roommate" Marie was up to something, I knew she was. There was something she wasn't telling me. I just didn't have the energy to think about it. Sitting up, I slumped against the couch. Marie just stared at me, but I knew she was assessing me.

"You look like crap. How many hours did you do? Didn't you have a 12 hour shift last night?" She glanced at the kitchen, obviously checking if I had eaten. I tended to leave my dishes in the morning (or night, depending on what shift I got). She knew this, growing up with me. It was her pet hate, my procrastination towards dishes. 'I'll do them later' just wasn't a good enough answer for her. My empty sink told her everything she needed to know.

"Did you even eat this morning- or last night?" She was already up, heading towards the fridge. When she started digging around in my fridge, I was thankful I had gotten groceries a few days before. The last time she came here and found nothing in my kitchen, she dragged me out and we spent hours getting food.

That was the downside of having a chef for a sister. The upside, however, was the fact that she could make a great sandwich. Mumbling my thanks, I took the offered sandwich and bit into it with a moan. My stomach woke up, remembering it hand't had anything but coffee and musli bars for the last 20 hours.

Probably longer, when I counted sleep. As a nurse, I was an idiot when it came to looking after myself. I would scold patients for not eating enough, even when I hadn't eaten for longer than they had. A second sandwich appeared as fast the the first was eaten, leaving me stuffed after both. If a third was offered, though, I would have eaten it.

"So, room mate search still happening?" She was back on topic, no longer distracted by my eating habits.

"Yeah. I haven't found anyone yet. No one wants to live with a male nurse. I don't know why" I was tired, even more so with a full stomach, and could feel my eyes drooping. Marie patted my hand, standing and grabbing her bag.

"Don't worry about it. I'll take over for you. Just send the pictures you've been using, I'll show them around and get someone in within the month. Maybe even someone who's also a nurse, of sorts" I nodded, no longer listening. She would take care of it.

After she had ordered me to change and go to bed, Marie left. I did as I was told, collapsing into bed and finally able to go to sleep. I didn't wake for another 9 hours, groaning when I did.

My alarm clock was going off. I was going to be late for work if I didn't hurry. Throwing on a clean pair of scrubs and some sneakers, I barely fit a shower in first. I was about to grab a couple of musli bars to take, until I saw the bright pink sticky note on my fridge.

To the most idiotic brother in existence,
One for breakfast, one for lunch and one in case you get drafted to work overtime!
XXX Marie (The best sister ever!)

Laughing, I grabbed a container and threw two sandwiches in. The third was a rushed breakfast in the car during the short drive to work. Walking into the hospital, I went straight for the coffee. Once I had some caffeine in my system, I checked the board. I was in the same position as the night before, and would be starting behind the desk.

After a quick handover, I took my place behind the plastic screen. The computer took a while to load, leaving me pretending to be busy. When a parent carrying a bleeding child rushed into the room, I was out of my seat and calling for assistance.

I had to take a few seconds to gown up, pulling my gloves on as I walked. The boy had managed to get his hands on a knife, a large gash on his leg proving how badly it could have ended. Eventually I passed him on, retaking my place behind the desk and waiting.

I didn't want kids to get hurt and need to come to the hospital, but I was bored. When a girl came in, I had to check her breathing out. She had freaked out when I had come out to her, obviously afraid of my size. I had to admit I could be intimidating, just because of my height. I was the 7 foot giant people would stare at, and it caused a few problems when working in a children's hospital.

Eventually I was able to get her to relax, coming down on my knees to make myself appear smaller. I was thrilled when I eventually rotated into the actual Emergency Department, hating the desk job. And, of course, I wound up getting another sixteen hour shift when another nurse called in sick at the last minute. At least I had food this time.