Chapter 16: Nick

My pillow was unusually warm, and much more comfortable than normal. Letting out a contented sigh, I pushed my face further into it. The back of my head was pressing against more warmth, my arm curled around this pillow. My other arm was draped down to the floor, my legs curled up tightly. Despite the awkward position, I was happy to remain there. Until something started pulling my hair.

Or tried to. Some thing shaky and small. Groaning, I cracked an eye open. The first thing I was was a movie, which went went into commercials. It was another Disney, except on TV this time. I slowly looked towards who had pulled my hair, finding a grinning Lucy. Her hands were reaching for me again, making me laugh.

A hand was removed from my shoulder, making me notice it was there in the first place. Realisation hit me. I wasn't curled around a pillow. I was curled around my room mate. Around Jess. My head was in her lap. Slowly, I sat up. I didn't want to make it awkward, deciding to act like it was normal.

"You sleep like a rock" glancing at Jess, I found a teasing smile on her face. Relief filled me, knowledge that she wasn't going to move out because I couldn't remain awake, settling my nerves.

"I do. I've always been that kid that sleeps all night. I'll sleep anywhere- obviously" I watched as she stretched, subtly. Her ass must have been numb, my dead weight pressing down. I didn't want to think about her stretching her ass and thighs. Or look at said parts when she stood and bent down to grab the oxygen tank. Looking away, I focused on picking the suction unit up.

"I can do it" she had the tank strapped to her back, having made sure to curl the extra loose tubes around her arm. She did it with one hand, the other busy holding Lucy on the couch.

"I know. I figure, you let me use you as a pillow. The least I can do is carry something for you" she started to argue, but quietened. Shrugging, she turned and picked Lucy up. She did it with her legs, keeping her back straight. I tried not to think about the muscles involved.

Following Jess down the hall, we barely got a few steps before Lucy was coughing. There was no time for gloves, so I just turned the suction unit on me handed Jess the tube. She hesitated for a second, her normal habit disrupted, but soon suctioned Lucy's mouth out. Whilst balancing her on her hip. If anyone could multitask, if was Jess.

Eventually making it to the room, Jess put Lucy down onto the bed. Using a rolled up blanket, she put her on her side and focused on everything else. I put the unit unit down, heading back down the hall for the monitor Jess had removed. I knew she was happy to leave the probe off Lucy for short periods. Returning, I just handed it to her.

"Thanks" I smiled, responding easily. It occurred to me that she didn't know I was a nurse. Unless Marie had told her. I had gotten into the habit of changing into street clothes after a shift, as well, to make sure I didn't bring any bugs back and get Lucy sick. Jess hadn't mentioned it at all. I felt like I was keeping it a secret, as if she would start using me as a live in nurse or something. Only, I knew Jess wouldn't do that. She wasn't the type. Still, something kept me from casually mentioning my job. Instead, I left the room and went hunting for food.

~~~

"I was thinking a surprise party would be fun" Marie hadn't stopped throwing ideas at me since she got here, only stopping every now and again to taste her creation. Then she would change it. Add something. The smell was driving me mad.

"As long as Luce and I aren't in the room when the yelling happens. She might get upset. Isn't that right baby girl?" I glanced at Jess, smiling when she grabbed Lucy's hands and started waving them. Lucy was loving it.

"Yeah. That would be a problem. Okay, a surprise party without that cliche crap. Just have a party and don't tell him" she easily snagged the chives off the top shelf, tall enough. Jess was always struggling to reach anything on the top shelf. I had lost count of how many times I had had to stop to help her reach it.

"That sounds like it would work. Day or night party?" I felt I had to put something into the conversation, having slacked so far. I was content to let Jess and Marie discuss the topic. They both appeared to think the idea over, Marie eventually deciding.

"Night. I think most people work around that day. We can do it on a Friday maybe. You and Jess can just sleep over" Marie returned to her stew, stirring and tasting. She left it to simmer, getting three bowls ready. I was digging in as soon as mine was given to me, unable to resist. Who could? Even Jess was moaning.

Lucy got a taste, but only a tiny bit. Just the juice. She didn't mind, excited to be getting what we were eating. It was adorable, making me poke my tongue at the little girl. She just squealed in response, flapping her little arms up and down. I had never wanted to hug a child more than I did in that moment. Instead, I just ruffled her hair as I got a glass of milk. Marie seemed to be the only one to notice, eyes following my movements closely. The downside of having a twin- they knew you well enough to know what you were thinking half the time.

"I'm good to sleep over. Is that portable cot still there? I can just go in my old room" Jess was concentrating on Lucy, making sure she didn't have any problems with the taste of juice she'd had. Probably worried about her aspirating, or an allergic reaction.

"Yes. Perfect. Nick, you can just take the couch. It's big enough" I nodded, agreeing easily. My eyes, however, we're stuck on Jess. It was rare to see a mother so devoted to her child. Her food was starting to get cold, barely touched while she focused on Lucy.

"Stew's gonna go cold" her eyes jerked up to me, surprise registering in those sky blue orbs. She had forgotten about the rest of the world, inside that little bubble surrounding her and her baby. An easy smile lit her face, and she reached up and took a quick bite. The moans returned, making me regret reminding her. She watched Lucy as she ate, pulling faces for the girl.

I just sat there eating, trying to pretend that my room mate moaning wasn't having an effect on me. No affect what so ever.