ch 1: new beginnings

Stepping off the train I walked alongside Lavender. Even though we had the whole ride to gossip about our holiday's, she still rambled on about Hermione; her "most adorable" girlfriend.

"I'm telling you it was so cute, she had a bow on and everything!" hardly containing herself, she wrapped her arm over my shoulder.

"Crookshanks is a very luck to have me" we both giggled.

struggling with both of our trunks I laughed "lav, i get it. You have a girlfriend, You're in love".

"what do you mean I'm NOT in love" she snarled.

Giving her a side-eye, she gave in "okay maybe I am"

"y/n I'm telling you, it's the best thing ever"

"i'm sure" I mocked.

"I'm being serious!! Hermione's the best thing that's happened to me, it's about time you find someone" she replied.

"I know it's just-" how do you explain to your best friend that you're a bit terrified of relationships? You don't, you stay quiet and hope for the best.

"look don't worry I'll be sure to find someone perfect for you" she reassured.

"Thanks, lav" I replied, not wanting to upset her anymore.

"who's in love?" Said a familiar voice behind us, of course, it was Eugene.

"a bit late are we?" I asked.

"yeah I had some business to take care of" he smirked.

"We'll, you better explain why you didn't respond to my letters" scolding him, lav stole a sweet from the bag he was holding.

"it was very boring, as always. Nora begged me to teach her some quidditch stuff and long story short she broke about 3 fingers" he slapped lavender's hand away.

"you broke her fingers?! Eugene how hard is it to teach a 13-year-old girl how to toss a ball around?!" I replied. Nora was Eugene's little sister, along with his other sister Susy, she was Nora's twin sister.

"Hey don't blame me! she slapped the bloody bludger herself! it was so bad my mum didn't let me write any letters back to you all" he frowned and ate a sweet.

"huh so that's why you didn't write back?" lav stopped abruptly. "you know I expect a detailed letter from each of you every month," she said.

"Lav don't give me that look" Eugene sighed. "look if I write to you every week next holiday will you forgive me?" He pleaded.

"I'll think about it" She continued walking.

"you guys give me a headache" I replied, watching them bicker.

as we walked to the carriages I glanced over and saw a familiar face cuddled up next to harry.

"is that...Ginny?" I asked.

"with Potter?!" dumbfounded Eugene furrowed his eyebrows.

"you guys didn't know?" Lavender laughed "she's had a crush on him since like..forever".

Eugene and I quickly looked at each other. No way, she would've told us but, then again Ginny was very reserved when talking about her crushes.

"I'm surprised you both didn't catch on," she remarked.

"well you have to admit, they are kind of adorable together" I replied.

Eugene tilted his head finding a way to agree with me. Harry then suddenly wrapped his arm around her and whispered something in her ear. Ginny blushed and giggled.

"Woah," unsure of what the hell just happened Eugene asked, "did she just-"

"she did" Lavender replied.

"she's whipped man" I laughed, "are we sure this is our Ginny?"

"let's see." Before we could process what Eugene was doing, he stood in front of harry and ginny.

Exchanging worried looks Lavender and I rushed to stop him.

"can I help you?" asked harry.

"Ginny?". Eugene said with a stern look, keeping eye contact with harry.

"Eugene?" Ginny grinned.

Before Eugene said anything else that could embarrass ginny any longer, they did the last call for carriages. Unfortunately, when we looked back to our previous carriage it had already filled up with other students.

"nice one idiot" Lavender exclaimed.

Soon enough a familiar voice yelled out for her "Lav!" It was Hermione.

"Coming!" she yelled back "see you guys at dinner?"

We quickly nodded and she left.

"erm, you can ride with us if you like," Harry asked.

"I'll just ride with Eugene-" looking over my shoulder I noticed he was no longer next to me, he sat next to Blaise and Draco.

"Sure, thanks" I smiled through my teeth.

we sat down and waited for the carriages to move, suddenly the seat next to me was taken.

"About time Ron we almost left without you" Harry exclaimed.

I haven't had a full conversation with ron since 4th year, we mainly just nodded at eacother whenever I went over to his house or when we'd bump into eachother in the Gryffindor common room.

"Yeah, well I'm here now" He replied, then finally noticed me "oh hey..".

"Hi" I lightly smiled.

"Hey Gin look at that" Harry whispered back to Ginny, too focused on eacother they didn't notice how awkward me and ron were.

"So um how are you?" Ron asked and fiddled with his wand.

"Good, how are you?" I replied.

"i'm fine actually" He responded.

silence.

I glanced back at him, he looked a couple inches taller since i last saw him, grew some muscles too.

He must've caught me staring because he turned slightly red.

"you know if you stare any longer you might drill a hole in me" He chuckled.

"Sorry I didn't-" now I had turned red.

"i'm joking, you're fine" He smiled.

"You've changed that's all" I returned a soft smile. "In a good way, don't worry" I said reassuringly.

Before Ron said anything, Ginny cut him off.

"I'm sorry I couldn't write back to any of you, Pig got sick and couldn't send the letters back" She gave ron a dirty look.

"hey! i told you it wasn't my fault, blame Fred and George" He huffed.

"it's alright, I think you might need to apologize to Lavender instead of me" I chuckled.

The rest of the ride was mainly Harry and Ginny flirting or accidentally bumping into ron and apologizing profusely, soon enough we arrived at Hogwarts.

Finally going to my dorm i shut the door and flopped on my bed, this was going to be a long year.