Bridesmaid

I woke up to the sound of a door slamming, and opened my eyes to bright sunlight shining through a crack in the curtain. I didn't give much thought as to where I was until I turned the opposite way and saw a folded propped up letter on a side table.

I had to rush out but feel free to take your time getting up and taking a shower. If you're hungry you can get room service and order whatever you want.

I sat up and was at a loss for words, or thoughts for that matter. I gave myself a look over and saw that I had hickeys in multiple places. The memories of what took place flooded my mind. I recalled everything that happened and then with a clear head, I couldn't believe what I had actually done. I not only had a one night stand but it was with a stranger who I never even learned the name of.

Noticing the clock read 8:46 AM I realized that in 14 min I was supposed to be with the bride, helping her prepare for her big day.

Rushing out of the bed was a big mistake, I fell to the floor immediately due to pain in multiple places. Luckily my clothes were neatly folded and sitting on a chair, so I didn't have to search high and low for them.

Walking home was the worst part, I not only had to walk from the hotel to the bar but from the bar to my place as well. It ended up being a thirty minute walk, in which at that moment, I actually almost regretted my night of pleasure. Luckily I didn't run into anyone from the hotel to home.

Once home, Mia was of course not home but a note was left.

You cheated on me last night didn't you. How could you do that to me you ungrateful man. I hope it was worth it because I am calling off our engagement and I am marrying someone else today.

Underneath was a large smiley face with a tongue sticking out with more words below it.

As much as I want to hate you for leaving me alone after I cried my eyes out on you, and the fact that I know you will be late, I forgive you. Well as long as you fully enjoyed yourself that is.

You better not be late for the actual wedding.

Love ya

Mia

I only had approximately fifty minutes until the wedding started, I forced myself into the shower, threw on my suit and drove to the church, skipping breakfast.

With only twenty minutes to spare I walked into the back room where I was welcomed with a teary bride.

"You ass!" Mia yelled.

"I'm sorry." I apologized with what I hoped to sound utterly sincere.

Mia took a few deep breaths, then made her way to me and hugged me tightly.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" She sniffed.

"Yes, but right now I am in a lot of pain and I don't think I can sit through the whole thing."

"Well that's a good thing!" She pulled back and smiled while wiping her tears away.

"Why is that?"

"I forgot to tell you that you are a bridesmaid"

"A what?" I gave a small laugh.

"Did you possibly mean a best man?"

"Of course not silly." Her smile turned into an evil grin. "Last night I assume you played a girl right, so let's have you play that today as well."

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." I said loudly.

"It's your punishment. Plus I'm a maid short so it's perfect."

"I won't do it."

"Yes you will."

"No I won't."

"Mrs. Ramsey." Mia hollered.

"What's wrong Mia?" My mother looked at me and glared. "How dare you be late to your fiance's wedding."

I rolled my eyes at hearing those words.

"I want him to be a bridesmaid for me but he refuses." Mia looked at her with watery eyes. She looked as if she was broken up over the thought.

"Nathaniel Jay Ramsey, you will be a bridesmaid or I'll take back the house and you can find somewhere else to live."

"I get to keep the house? I thought I was getting kicked out and Mia and her husband were going to live there."

"No, she and her other fiance' have found a new place together and will be moving in right after the wedding."

My mother had given me the house just last year, and told me that it would be mine and Mia's when she came back from her year trip.

"I get to keep the house huh?"

"Only if you are a bridesmaid." My mother said.

"I don't have to wear a dress right?" I asked seriously.

"I wouldn't take the punishment that far." Mia smiled genuinely. "Please be by my side until our engagement has been completely nullified."

Though it obviously already was, I decided to allow her to have her way. Just like always I wanted her to be happy and always smiling. Even if the house deal wasn't on the table, I'm sure I would have given in.

"Alright I'll play a woman again."

"What do you mean again?" My mother asked.

"Alright let's get the show on the road." Mia said loudly.

I was thankful for that because I had yet to tell my parents about my sexual preferences, and to find out on Mia's wedding day would have made things really uncomfortable for everyone.