Chapter 9

Xia Mianmian's the first to notice that Qiao Chi's acting strange so she asks in a low voice, "Qiao Chi, what's the matter?"

Qiao Chi retracts her gaze away from the female ghost, and says calmly, "It's nothing. Try to look behind you."

Gao Cheng and Xia Mianmian listen to her and turn their heads to unsuspectingly look behind them.

Gao Cheng: ...

Xia Mianmian: ...

"Ahhhhh!!!"

The duo's screams almost lift the ceiling off the villa, and the pair of brother and sister run behind Qiao Chi very tacitly. Their speed is so fast that even Qiao Chi and the female ghost could not react fast enough.

Qiao Chi turns her head to see that both of her wrists are being violently held to the point where she almost falls backward. She says helplessly: "Can you both let go? What's the matter?"

The female ghost agrees. Nodding along, she's just standing behind the two of them, and she hasn't started scaring them yet, so how could they be like that?

The contracted staff dressed as the female ghost watches Gao Cheng and Xia Mianmian drag Qiao Chi's hands without wanting to come out from behind her. After thinking for a bit, she says to Qiao Chi, "Should I hide again?"

Qiao Chi contemplates for a bit and then nods helplessly. Unexpectedly, the simple conversation between the two causes even greater panic in the duo.

"Ahhh Qiao Chi, the ghost is talking! That's too scary!" Xia Mianmian sniffs, but she doesn't forget to ask Gao Cheng. "Why, are you scared, too? "

【What's this? Is Gao Cheng actually frozen like a statue? Hahahaha xswl*! 】

(T/N: xswl is an abbreviation for 笑死我了(xiào'sǐ'wǒ'le) meaning laughing to death or laughing so much you feel like you're gonna shit)

【Miss Ghost Girl: I didn't do anything. I'm innocent! 】

【Even though she was afraid, she still pokes fun at her brother like any other pair of siblings. 】

【Qiao Chi: I want to say the swear word on my face. 】

The female ghost disappears and is no longer seen. Gao Cheng hesitatingly releases Qiao Chi's hand. Clearing his throat, he says: "Just now, it's because I was caught off guard and didn't have enough time to react."

Xia Mianmian snorts disdainfully, one hand keeps holding Qiao Chi's wrist, and the other hand picks up the letter that she has just ignored because of her fear. She blows the ashes off it and tries to make her voice sound normal. "Let's try to find some water."

Qiao has no objection, and as luck would have it, there is a kitchen under the living room. She points her chin at Gao Cheng, who's standing by the faint candlelight: "Can you do it by yourself?"

"No!" He immediately regrets answering so decisively. After a few seconds of silence, he decides to buckle up like he's out to save the country: "We don't know what the situation is right now. If we separate and act alone, I don't mind what happens to me, but if something happens to you two, at that point, you guys won't have a helping hand."

Qiao Chi hears his intention, which is about the same as before, and is about to say something else then thinks about it, and says with a smile: "It's okay. I have a level 9 black belt in taekwondo. If one person comes, I will fight them. If two, I will fight two."

Shocked, he looks to Xia Mianmian, who's standing behind Qiao Chi, for assistance, hoping that his sister could talk for him. However, his sister's only worrying about holding on to Qiao Chi. He has no other choice but to take in the layout of the room.

It's impossible to see anything in the darkness.

"It's not impossible for me to go with you," Qiao Chi says with a smile.

The candlelight flickers on her face. He hears his little heart beat faster, and he feels like a hole just open up, waiting for him to jump in.

Gao Cheng takes a step back involuntarily, turns his head and glances at the dimmed kitchen. He feels as if something's about to come out of it, giving him goosebumps.

"Tell me what you want." Gao Cheng recognizes that even if it is a pit, it is better not to go in the kitchen and collect water by himself.

"I can't think of it now. Maybe later." Qiao Chi then bends over and picks up the candle on the table. Using a hand, she blocks it from the wind. "Let's go."

【 Hahahahahaha Xia Mianmian is really ruthless, pretending to be blind online 】

【 Gao Cheng: Mother F—! I don't want this sister of mine at all. 】

【 Why do I see the words trick/big hole on Qiao Chi's face! Baobei! Why are you so stupid! Don't agree to Qiao Chi's help! Mommy Yun will accompany you to the kitchen! 】

(TN: in case it's unclear. The commenter is saying that Qiao Chi is tricking Gao Cheng and it's written on her face)

The three of them move slowly toward the kitchen. Qiao Chi walks in the front with a candle. Gao Cheng and Xia Mianmian follow her. When they make it to the kitchen door, Qiao Chi stops. She turns to look at Gao Cheng. With her eyes bent, she puts the candle in his hand: "I'm only accompanying you here. Go!"

With a dazed expression, he looks down at the candle, and suddenly, he regrets agreeing to record the show.
He almost faints, thinking about how many more scenes that will come after this!

Gao Cheng grits his teeth. The hand holding the candle trembles. He tries to calm himself down by swallowing a breath. It is currently a live broadcast, so he can't act too scared.

It's becoming quite clear to him that the image that he has cultivated these past few years have disappeared. He might as well write an obituary for them.

He slowly walks over. He first stretches the hand holding the candle forward to illuminate the space. After making sure that there are no demons or ghosts, he takes small steps forward.

Fortunately, as soon as Gao Cheng turns his head, he can see the switch to turn on the kitchen light. He says excitedly: "There is a light switch!"

Qiao Chi isn't able to stop him before reaches out and presses it. The kitchen light does not turn on. Instead, the window creaks and opens.

A chilly wind blows in from the window with a fresh, bloody smell.

There's liquid dripping from the ceiling. It falls on Gao Cheng's neatly styled hair and his made up face. He retracts his hand and wipes his face. He nervously brings his hand in front of his eyes.

Bright red blood smears on his entire hand.

He stiffly turns his head. As his face is illuminated by the candlelight, his whole face is covered with blood.

Qiao Chi: ...

Xia Mianmian: ...

"Find some water."

Qiao Chi then looks away.

"Hurry," Xia Mianmian urges.

"You two..." Gao Cheng can see that his teammates don't want to look at him, so he, once again, has to begrudgingly look for water with a head of blood.

He constantly tries to talk himself up. He is a masculine man! He is a flower of China! He is filled with righteousness!

The kitchen sink drips with water. He boldly walks in, turns on the faucet, and lets the water flow out. First, he washes the blood on his hands, and then takes the empty wine glass in the sink without squinting and fills it half way.

He takes a deep breath and turns around, but the next scene leaves him stunned.

The female ghost, who has not been around, just now sits on his left side, looking straight at him. She grins at him gloomily.

There's blood all over her mouth. Gao Cheng feels that the blood in his head makes him feel sick, on top of him freaking out.

"Are you here to accompany me?" says the female ghost, accompanied by the ever-decreasing temperature. Gao Cheng thinks that he must be in an ice cellar because his bare arms have gotten layers after layers of goosebumps.

The female ghost slowly stands up, mopping the floor in her white dress. Her black straight hair reaches her waist as it covers half of her face. She seems to be heading in his direction.

She takes small, slow steps that makes it feels like half an hour has already passed.

Maintaining a rare moment of calmness, Gao Cheng says: "Don't come over."

The female ghost stops after hearing this. She tilts her heads conscientiously, seeming to ask why.

He says: "Don't scare me. When I go back, I'll give you a red envelope."

【 Hahahaha is this really a horror variety show? Why is Gao Cheng so funny! Hahaha! 】

【 I want to declare that this variety show will have me laughing for the rest of the year! 】

【 Hahahaha! What a funny show! I thought that Gao Cheng is positioned as a cold, rich, and domineering president. 】

She contemplates for a while. She's just an extra, and the director has allowed her to play the character however she wants. Therefore, she nods silently and squats back down.

Gao Cheng politely returns a nod, and asks sincerely: "We now have a piece of paper with no words on it. Is there any way to make the handwriting appear?"

She stays quiet.

Gao Cheng asks again: "Are you a fan of mine?"

She then nods hesitantly. Feeling relieved, he smiles and says: "If you tell me, when we go out, I'll take a picture, sign it, and give you a red envelope."

"The paper is actually useless. It's just to fool you, Cheng Brother! Don't be fooled!" The female ghost quickly replies. Her tone this time is much more normal than previously with some mischievous undertone.

Qiao Chi, who has witnessed everything, is shocked. Can he do this?

Not only Qiao Chi, but the entire staff outside turns collectively quiet. The director takes a few deep breaths to calm himself. He has been doing variety shows for so many years, but it is the first time that he sees guests and show's NPCs being happy, reaching a consensus with each other.

The director watches Qiao Chi's group go upstairs. There are many traps that they've arranged but none of the members fall into them. It seems that in the future, they should make sure that the extras they found aren't fans of idols!

"Director, the netizens' reactions are pretty good! "

The prop technician, who's standing on the side and has been on his phone, passes it to the director. Although it is live broadcast, it's a bit delayed. Currently it's broadcasting Gao Cheng talking with the female ghost, and the comments are all laughing bemusedly, while it's on the hot search topic with over 200 million likes.

"Director, we're number one! We're #1 on Weibo's hot search!"

The other staff also echoes that the live broadcast app has pushed their variety show across all the stations, and spontaneous discussion on Weibo has helped it become the number one trending topic.

The director looks at the monitor again and puts his hand on his trousers. "Send the staff to contact Wen Guo."

.

.

Outside the villa, the sky is completely dark. When he looks up, he can still see the sky full of stars. The mountain wind is blowing slowly. The location of this villa is very good.

Song Yiyu sits in the driving seat and watches the live video with his mobile phone. He's very upset!

Why is this man named Gao Cheng such a touchy person?! Doesn't he know Qiao Chi already has a boyfriend?!

What kind of man is that scared?!

When he saw that Qiao Chi smiled at Gao Cheng instead of pushing him away, Song Yiyu just wanted to rush into the show and fish her out.

He's not sure how he's endured it before, but when he thinks of Qiao Chi cuddling with other men, he feels like he's being pierced by countless needles and soaked with salt water. The thoughts make him feel miserable.

Some of the trending comments have switched to Takahashi CP eating with commenters frantically swiping the screen to support CP.

(TN: this part was fucking confusing. Apparently it's talking about Takahashi Minami, who's a member of AKB48, who's married to a man 15 years her senior.)

Song Yiyu snorts: "A group of extremely boring people!"

He's honestly preparing to send out a comment, but before he could press send, somebody knocks on his car window.

He lifts his head from the phone and turns around. There's a man in a suit standing outside. Although Song Yiyu can't see his face, the person looks like a young man if he goes by his figure and hands.

Song Yiyu rolls the car window down, and before he asks, he hears a surprise voice coming from the man: "Boss! It's really you!"

.

.

.

.

T/N: of most cannon fodder stories, I think Gao Cheng is quite likable. I like that the story points out he's supposed to be a cold, domineering CEO, yet his ass be scared of a fake ghost. Lol.