Chapter 7 - SUSIE TO THE RESCUE

Jack spent most of the next secret seven meeting trying to convince Peter to let Susie join 

''Come on Pete'' he begged ''You let Louise join and it was a disaster and Rebecca doesn't want to join now. Why not give Susie a chance?''

''She will just annoy me too much'' Peter replied

''No, listen she is ok when she isn't with Binkie and she and Binkie aren't friends anymore now''

Jack told the group how Binkie had stolen his watch and Susie had got it back for him

''I tell you she is sharp, she is going to be a good member if we'd only give her a chance''

Peter sighed ''Ok let's put it to a vote, who wants to give Susie a chance?''

Jack and Barbara's hands shot up immediately and Peter looked at Barbara in surprise. Barbara shrugged

''I don't mind Susie, I told you already we sit together in some of the same classes. I have never liked Binkie but Susie is fine and now that she is no longer friends with Binkie I can't see why it would be a problem to let her join. The poor girl has been wanting to for long enough and we just exclude her over and over again. it's not really very fair Peter sorry''

Peter and the others were surprised by Barbara's little speech and George also put his hand up in support of Susie

''Well maybe we should give her a chance'' he said

Everyone looked at Janet 

''And what do you think Janet?'' Peter asked his sheepish-looking sister

''I think we should give Susie a chance too'' Janet said nervously ''Sorry bro, but she can't be any worse than Louise can she and you gave Louise a chance so why not give Susie one? Anyway I bet poor Jack is sick and tired of being in the middle between you and Susie feuding all the time''

''Ok listen to me'' Peter said rather sternly and the others looked scared thinking he was about to lose his temper ''This is what I am going to do, I am going to give Susie a chance. But she will have a 2-week trial. If I am satisfied with her by the end of the 2 weeks she can stay if not then she is out and Jack I warn you if she proves to be really bad for the group then if I dismiss her in 2 weeks' time I might dismiss you too!''

The others gasped with shock

''But we can't dismiss Jack!'' Barbara cried ''Oh Peter you can be so mean at times''

''I am the head of this society remember? that means I can dismiss whoever I like, including you Barbara! But I'll only do it if Susie is really bad, if she is good then she and Jack will both be allowed to stay!''  

''Susie will not let us down I know she will not'' Jack said

Susie had also brought Jack and Billy back together to make up after their fight and Jack accusing him of taking the watch. She had insisted the two cousins must be friends again

''Boys, we will forget all about that wretched Binkie!'' she told them ''from now on she no longer exists for any of us''

Jack and Billy were so happy about this, they never had liked Binkie and the secret seven were also pleased to hear that Susie had ditched Binkie

Susie's first official meeting with the seven took place within days. The password was 'welcome' and Susie sat down proudly with her group. Scamper sat and stared at Susie, he wondered what was going on here. His master Peter decided to let Susie join. He always asked Scamper to bark at her and chase her away but today she was in the shed eating cookies!