04 ―『 sidewalks 』

Chapter Four - Sidewalks.

───────────────────────

The next day, just like what was planned, we met up again in the convenience store. It was Saturday so I just wore something casual and presentable enough. A white shirt with denim shorts and a pair of low converse.

I was surprised to actually see him already there, his back on one of the light posts. His head was hung low as he's holding a long piece of leather bag. I've noticed it since we first met, he'd be bringing it with him every minute, it must be so important for him. I wonder what's inside... (girl, you don't want to know).

I waved my hand at him when he looked at my direction. Noticing my presence, he stood up, patting his clothes from any dusts as he waited for me to come near him. He was silent when I stood in front of him, even until I held his wrist and pulled him together with me.

"Let's go."

The office was packed as fuck. The line was so long that we needed to sit on one of the waiting chairs and wait for hours. My arms crossed over my chest, foot tapping impatiently on the ground as I gaze at the line that's taking too slow to move.

The man beside me was silent, looking everywhere, maybe familiarizing the place.

We literally waited for four hours before it was finally our turn. Looking at the women behind the transparent divider, I asked for a birth certificate form, immediately pulling the -cute- strawberry boy outside after.

"Finally, some fresh air!" I shouted as I inhaled deeply. "Let's go to the other side, there are pens there."

Haruchiyo was just standing by my side, observing me as I fill up his form.

CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH
Name:
Date of Birth:
Mother (maiden name):
Father:
...

I kept asking him about his private information and he kept answering them. I thought he would stay silent and not answer me since he doesn't really know me that much, but I'm thankful enough that he's cooperating.

"I need an id," the woman said.

Oh, crap, I almost forgot about that.

"Ah, haha," I laughed awkwardly. "You see, he lost all his belongings. So he doesn't have anything right now."

"Id, please." She ignored my explanation and looked at me with a blank expression. "Hurry up, miss. The line is long."

Clicking my tongue, I have no choice but to go out, pulling the strawberry-haired boy who was quiet with me.

"Dang, I didn't know it's this hard to get some papers," I muttered under my breath.

My gaze went up to his covered face. He was just staring at me while here I am, problematic about things that's not even on my own benefit.

"Ah, that's it!" My face brightened up with realization. "Shinichiro! I'll ask Shinichiro!"

"No."

The light ray of hope inside me shut down as he said those two letters.

I pouted. "But Shin-"

"No."

We're in the living room. Haru sitting on the couch while silently observing and listening to me and Shinichiro's conversation. Emma was out with her friends, while Manjiro handled their shop.

Shinichiro rubbed the bridge of his nose as he closed the of his eyes in frustration. "Look, y/n. I understand you want to help someone. But please, just look at him." He pointed at the silent boy. "He's old enough to do things on his own. He doesn't need any more supervision."

"But..." I just wanted him to have a normal life...

"You're a nice girl, y/n. And you may want to help him like how we helped you, but prioritize yourself, will you?"

I bit my lip, suppressing any whimpers from coming out of my mouth as I nodded my head obediently. I understand, of course I do. But...

"Can he at least stay here for the meantime? Until he finds a place to live."

With that, he sighed. "Fine."

I couldn't contain my happiness as I hugged him. "You're the best, Shinichiro!"

Pulling Haruchiyo upstairs, we went towards the spare room. It was just beside mine and emma's. I opened the door, welcoming him inside.

The latter was silent as he scanned the place. A single bed was at one corner of the room. A cabinet on the other side, and a vanity table on the foot of the bed.

A window was in front of us, I went inside and opened it. The ray of sunlight immediately ingulfed the place.

"It's not much but I hope it'll make you comfortable," I said as I watched him look around. "If you want to ask something, my room is just beside yours. I'm with Emma, though. So quite possibly, she'll be the one who's going to open the door sometimes."

He sat on the side of the bed, not knowing what to do.

"Do you have any clothes, or belongings? Let's get those and organize them here first."

He nodded. I was about to walk near him when I heard my phone ringing. It was my alarm. It was already 4pm and I still have work. Souvenirs sell the most during this time at this day, making it my official work schedule.

"Oh, wait. I still have work." I cursed under my breath. "Uh, you can go and pack your things. Just find me at the boulevard, I'm selling sea shells there."

Without looking back, I left in a hurry.

Tons of people were walking down the large sidewalk. Some of them were holding hands, others were with their friends as they enjoyed the nice view of the sun setting by the shore just behind me.

Arranging my souvenirs, teenagers my age started to pile up to my stall, buying some they like. Necklaces, bracelets, keychains, everything I sell are made from sea shells.

It was until an hour later that I saw Haruchiyo on one of the benches, silently sitting with a single backpack on his back and again, that long ass leather thingy. I packed my things after noticing the sun finally waving its last embers. Strawberry boy immediately went to help me which I was thankful of.

We walked side by side silently on the sidewalk. It was already dark, and our only source of light were from the posts.

Nightwalks like this would've been nothing to me. I was used to it. But today, it felt different. Before, I would be alone holding a large plastic bag containing all of the souvenirs I sell and just be quietly strolling home. But now, having some presence with me was a new feeling.

I felt full, and contented.

───────────────────────

rosie.