Chapter 10: Threshold

“Taehyun, what happened?”

     After dragging trices of stillness, Beomgyu eventually managed to speak through the viscid lump in his throat. His words came out battered and raspy, hardly audible by the emotions clouding it. It would’ve been easier to speak if Taehyun wasn’t adhering onto him so desperately.

     This way, it was laborious to breathe. Though, not in a bad way.

     Taehyun didn’t answer him, didn’t even acknowledge his question. It was as if the words fluttered past his head, ears blocked by the coating of comfort. Either that, or he was intentionally avoiding the question.

     The latter seemed much more likely.

     Beomgyu didn’t push him. He didn’t pull away first nor did he repeat his vague query. He ravished in the closeness of their bodies instead, allowing the concern to wither away for that instant.

     The little bubble they’d created dissipated once Taehyun lessened his grip, pulling himself back. He pulled Beomgyu’s mind back into reality with a screeching halt.

     Still, no words. He didn’t move too far, allowing Beomgyu to rest his hand on the back of his head where the red strands curled around his bandaged fingers. Taehyun felt his palm against the nape of his neck, barely leaning into his touch. The second of eye contact left his heart racing.

     So dreadfully deliberately, he looped his fingers around Beomgyu’s wrist, the same hand which was entangled in his hair, the same one which homed the wound and hearts. You win some, you lose some.

     “What happened?” Taehyun belatedly voiced, hardly audible over the pounding of Beomgyu’s heart in his ears. He stayed silent for a second, following as the younger brought his hand down, tenderly examining the poorly done bandage work.

     “I…” You.You happened. I’m losing my mind here. “I hit the back of my hand on some broken glass, just a dumb accident.”

     Taehyun hummed, “You should be more careful,” he mumbled, fingers caressing his hand deftly. The tone in his voice indicated he didn’t wholly believe his excuse, yet Beomgyu chose to pretend he didn’t notice.

     Before Beomgyu could further question his absence or abrupt affection, Taehyun invited him to walk with him. It was an agile, curt offer, and Beomgyu already knew he was going out of his way to dodge the inevitable questioning.

     Nevertheless, he agreed. How could he say no?

     They stood side by side, promising only to walk within the perimeter of the building as to stay safe so late into the night. The silvery air bit and nipped at their bared skin, numbing their cheeks and whirling through their hair.

     The sky wasn’t littered with as many stars as it could be, an effect of the intensive light pollution. Still, Beomgyu could discern the faint dots on the canvas, only if he squinted hard enough. It was a solid way to keep his mind elsewhere, especially with the unanswered questions lingering through the air, begging to be spoken.

     They walked closer than needed, arms brushing with every other step. His warmth was magnetic-like as if his mere presence was enough to lure Beomgyu in, attracting him closer to his body. It was hard to resist the urge and attraction.

     “Where have you been?” Beomgyu wondered aloud, inescapably growing weary from dancing around each other. It was tortuously apparent that something was setting him off—something made him leave without words notice only to come back as if he was on the verge of losing him.