New Life Here I Come

CHERRY POV

     I have been stowed away for two days now. When they stop to sleep at night, I go get food and bathroom breaks. Tonight, I will get out and be off on my own. I heard them talking about stopping for the night soon. When they do, I will be off to a bus and my new life. I know that they know I am gone by none and had Tech looking for me. Sheila would make sure of that. Soon they will call Medic and see if I got a ride with them. They will search for me in the van here. I have to be gone before then.

   I hear and feel the vehicle stop. I wait thirty minutes and then get out. I grab my bags and head to the side of the hotel when I hear Medic talking. "I will look and see if she hid in our van, but I am telling you she didn't ask us for a ride. I can understand that you guys are worried about her but seeing how Khaos treated her while we were there, I can understand her leaving. I figured someone who had been loyal to you as long as Cherry was, wasn't lying about Maria. I just wish Khaos had seen that too." I can hear that then I pause while whoever is responding. "Yeah, I am sure he does now too after seeing the proof. Damn shame it took that to prove it to him. I am sorry but I am a little pissed at him. I may not know Cherry well, but I hate any kind of violence against women. Making someone feel like they can't stay with the ones they love and that loves them with your attitude is the same thing as abuse to me. If Alejandro does get her and kills her, how is he going to feel then?" he asks then pauses again listening. "I get it he feels bad, and I hope he learns from this. No sign of her in our van. She could've been and gotten out on one of our stops between here and there. If you need our help or our allies' help let Tank or me know. I hope you guys find her safe and sound, rather she returns home, so it is up to her. I wish you guys all the best of luck. Bye." Medic hangs up, looks around some and heads back in.

    My heart was about beating out of my chest. I was afraid he was going to see me. I feel guilty that they are worried, it is tempting to call them to let them know I am okay. I am glad that Khaos feels something now but it's his own fault. I don't feel bad for him or any guilt for him. Time to find the bus to my new home so I start walking towards the lights of town. Takes about forty-five minutes on foot to make it there. It's a small but populated town. I see a twenty-four-hour diner half a block up, I head there for food and directions to the closest bus station or stop. I have decided on Lafayette, Louisiana here I come. I decided on there for two reasons, my new name sounds French Cajun and it's big enough to be one of many but small enough not to be thought of.

I walk in and am greeted by a heavy-set older woman with black and grey hair in a tight bun. "Hey suga', take a seat anyways you want. I will be there in a minute to get your order. Whatcha want to drink, suga'?" she asks. I see her name badge, "I will take a lemonade. Thank you, Shirley." I reply. I grab a seat near the front. Within a few minutes Shirley brings me the lemonade and a menu. "I will be back in a few minutes to see whatcha want." Shirley states. "Actually, what do you recommend?" I ask "I recommend the roast with potatoes and carrots. They're really good." she replies. "Sounds amazing. I will have that." I reply. She nods and walks away.

    While I wait, I look around and I notice bus schedules, pamphlets and maps. I walk over and grab on of each. This diner is a bus stop, that is awesome. Once she brings out my meal, she sees the map and pamphlet. "Traveling?" she asks. "Finding a new future. When the next bus coming?" I ask. "The next bus is in about two hours. It's goin' to the main terminal in Louisiana," she tells me. "Sounds great. I will get a ticket and the map when I pay for my meal. Am I allowed to hang out here until the bus comes?" I ask. "Sound good, suga'. You're more than welcome to hang out until then. Enjoy your meal," she smiles and walks away.

     I eat quietly while studying the map of Louisiana. I know I want to be close to Lafayette but not right in the heart of the city. Shirley comes back when I empty my plate. "How was everything? Can I get you anything else, hun?" she asks. "That is the best food I have had in a while. I would like a piece of apple pie with a scoop of ice cream and some coffee, please." I tell her. "Great choice, hun. The ice cream here is homemade. Be right back with that." she tells me. She brings back my dessert and the check. She's right the ice cream is amazing. I pay for the food, map, and bus ticket when. I finished. She gives me free refills of coffee until the bus comes. I thank her on my way out the door.