Chapter 15

True to his word, Rob arranged the following night, Saturday night, for us to get together. His wife Sue called Allie up later Friday night and suggested a night together, which turned out perfectly. My son Josh was heading to a baseball team end of the season party, where the assistant coach had a giant country house and barn for the boys to pitch tents in and have a camp out together. At almost 12, he was looking more and more like me, including the small height. But what he lacked in size, he made up for in skill, becoming a powerful second baseman. My daughter was having her own best friend come over for a sleepover, which gave Allie the freedom to entertain without having to take care of our daughter as much since she had a friend to fuss over, allowing me to slip out without any guilty feelings.

"So you and Rob seem to be getting along just fine." Allie teased me in our bedroom as I changed into a pair of jeans and a casual summer polo shirt that showed off my biceps. "Another weekend hanging out?" She said with a raised eyebrow and a grin.

I shrugged. "Yeah I guess. He's actually a great guy."

She gave a little snort. "You didn't seem to like him much at the cottage."

I thought back, realizing that I didn't really get to know Rob on our weekend getaway, and all that he really wanted, until our time was almost up there. Until he fucked me in the kitchen good and hard after I got a view of the big beefy body he was covering up. Then I couldn't stop wanting him. "I guess he grew on me." I said with a grin.

"Well, he seems to like you. Sue says it was his idea for you guys to get together again." Allie moved around me to get into our ensuite bathroom to fix her hair. "She said you have made quite the impact on Rob. Says he's much happier lately, now that he's got a "little buddy" to hang around with." Allie looked at me. "Her words, not mine." Allie clarified as she knows I'm always sensitive about references to my size. But hearing Rob call me that was just fine.

I moved around her to my sink in the bathroom, watching her adjust her hair, looking at her roots, straightening it with her flat iron. Allie was a beautiful woman. And I truly loved her. But I was beginning to see once again that it was someone like Rob that I truly needed. "He's actually quite a fun guy when he gets past all his seriousness. But I guess that comes with the job. Being a cop isn't all that relaxing after all."

She looked at me in the mirror. "Well it looks good on you too. I haven't seen you this happy since the McNabs moved away." She eyed me carefully. "I know how much you miss Darren."

No, you don't. I thought immediately. I looked down and grabbed my toothbrush to avoid her gaze.

"It's okay you know. He was your best friend." She finished with her hair and put the flat iron down. "You deserve to have another one. It's just funny that I've worked with Sue this long and you didn't make this connection with Rob before."

I really didn't make the connection with Rob, the words in my head yelled out as I started brushing my teeth. Between Rob and Joe that is. And now Allie wanted me to replace Darren with Rob. And frankly, so did I.

"Have you heard from Darren lately? Are they moving back anytime soon?" Allie asked, glancing at me in the mirror.

I shook my head. I had heard from Darren, but couldn't tell Allie all the things that he said. Or all the things that I had said back. About how much I missed him. About how I couldn't wait five years. About how he didn't expect me too. And how that happened just before our cottage weekend with everyone. How I was crazy with grief that he couldn't come back to me for another five years because of his job. And how I had thrown myself at Dan, and Ed, and Mitch to forget. And then Rob.

I spit into the sink and looked up at Allie. "Last I heard from Darren was another five years. Hopefully. Then his contract would be up and they could think about moving back." Allie's eyes glossed over as she seemed lost in thought.