Chapter Seventeen

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent

             – Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I'm outside my tutorial. Na to walk in be the goal oo. But I just couldn't move. Sandra glares at me from her car and gestures that I go in. I shake my head. She groans and slides out of the driver's seat, her legs dropping to the pavement. She stomps to me.

"Go in na," she whisper-yells.

"I'm scared"

"Of what?"

"I don't know," I say, my voice quavering. "Is my dress okay?"

"Are you kidding me?" she gasps. "It's mind-blowing. The pattern of the skirt, the colorful blouse and then a white sneakers? You are looking beautiful, baby".

"Are you sure?"

"Yes na! Did you even look at the mirror?"

"I did"

"And what did you see?"

I pause and let the question sink in. "I saw a beautiful girl"

"Good girl! Now, catwalk in"

I smirk and hug her. "Thank you. You are the best friend ever".

"You're welcome. Now, gerrat. I don't want to see your face"

I shake my head at her and she burst into laughter. I begin to take slow steps towards my tutorial. I glance back and wave goodbye to her. I get in and the moment the receptionist sees me she exclaims, "Excuse me!"

I pause. "Good morning ma"

"Good morning," she says and eyes me suspiciously. "Are you new here? Can I see your receipt?"

"Oh! I'm not new here"

"What's your name?"

"Ifunanya Dora James"

She raises a brow and mumbles, "That name sounds familiar".

"Mr Ibe paid my fees"

Her eyes go round. "Oh...You?"

"Yes....Me! Don't I look like my previous self?"

"What?" she gasps. "You look different now oo".

"In a good or bad way?"

"In a good way. Please, you can go in"

"Thank you"

"You are welcome. You look beautiful"

I stare at her hesitantly and then reply, "Thank you ma".

She smiles genuinely while my heart races. Someone I didn't know so well is calling me beautiful. Wow!

As I walk down the hallway, I hear our maths teacher's voice echo from the class. I freeze and suddenly feel the urge to run away. Class has started and that means if I walk in everyone might turn their attention to me. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. I spin and I'm about to head out the door. I pause and shake my head. I can't allow myself to run away from this. I need to be more confident in myself.

I square my shoulder, adjust my skirt and sashay into the class. I greet the class teacher. Indeed, the students' eyes are on me.

"Good morning sir"