Chapter Nineteen

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
                           Joshua 1:9

     ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I should cry. It's the right thing to do or isn't it? The tears should flow, right? I'm meant to be wiping my tears, am I not?

I knew this but I chose to just stare. I rise from the floor, dust my skirt and tread to the cube. I didn't cry. I guess I was too broken that I knew tears wouldn't be enough to express my pain. I get to the cube but I'm in for a shock. My property are lying bare at the main entrance to the building. It isn't just mine, Rita's own is there. Luckily, much of my property aren't stolen. I should be angry, right? But I'm just stoic.

Our landlord walks to me. "Ehen! I have been waiting for you," he says and shoves his hand into his pocket. His lips curves into an awkward smile. The same man that had threw my things out of my shop is now throwing my things out of the cube. I'm sure he is enjoying this moment.

"Good Afternoon," I reply numbly.

He nods and pulls his loose trouser up, his pot belly falling lower than before. "The person you were sharing that room with....ehhh... What's that her name again?"

I don't say anything.

He frowns. "What's her name?"

I roll my eyes. "Rita"

"Ehen! Yes, Rita! May her soul rest in peace," he says and shakes his head.

Now, it's my turn to frown and I ensure my expression sends a good message to him. He scoffs at my look.

"You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"She is dead"

I don't react. I should but I don't. It just feels like a joke.

"She is dead," he repeats.

"I heard you the first time"

"Won't you say anything?"

"Like what?"

"About her death. Do you already know?"

"She is not dead, mister man. Get out of your imagination and let's talk about why my things are outside. I paid my rent"

"Forget that one oo. Rita's matter involves police oo. I no want wahala. You better carry your load and leave my building oo. I don't know why pesin wey know her pregnancy don react one month go dey do abortion. She no even meet better doctor. Some people don't have sense at all," he mumbles as he tugs with his loose trouser. I'm still wondering why it hasn't fully disgraced him. I'm sure his black boxers aren't pleasant to the sight. "Please, pack your things and leave".

"So Rita is dead?" I ask aloud as if to make the words sink into my head. I guess it didn't because I'm still not crying.

"Yes! Please, leave"

"But I don't have any place to go?"

"How does that one concern me?" he hisses and walks away. I'm still emotionless as I watch him leave.

"Hey," a masculine voice pulls me from my thoughts. I look up at Samson who grins at me. I just feel like vomiting at seeing him. "What's wrong? Do you need my help?"

"I don't need your help. Get out," I snarl.

He eyes my things and says, "You can stay with me for the meantime".

"I rather sleep on the road than in your place," I hiss out of my gritted teeth.

He cocks a brow in disbelief. "Why? I don't want to hurt you. I just want to help".

"I don't need your help. Leave"

He smirks. "You feel that you will get tempted and something will happen between us in the night, don't you? I understand. You look so beautiful in this your new outfit sef. I feel that will happen too because I like you alot and you look so unresistable. That's why I want to help you. I can't bear to see you in pain and I want us to get to know each other more"

"Wow! So....Shameless," I say with disgust just as how Aaron would have done it.

He chuckles at that. "I genuinely want to help you".

"Is that how all men are? Whatever assistance they are giving you, they expect you to trade your body as a thank you gift?" I growl, my hands balled at my side.

His mouth dropped at my words. "I didn't say that".

"But that's what you are expecting, right?"

"Some men may want that but I'm not like them. I'm decent. When I love you, I do whatever I can to make you happy"

"You love me?" I ask, my fingers still digging into my palm as I stare in rage.

"Yes"

"What about— "

He cuts in. "It's you that I truly love. I don't make a good match with her".

"But you enjoyed taking advantage of her body. What happened? Are you bored with your toy?"

He shamelessly chuckles and I couldn't believe my eyes. He thinks I'm joking. Wow!

"She is not my toy," he says finally.

"But you told her you love her. What happened now?"

"The love isn't working again and that's because my heart chose you," he takes quick steps to me and his arm goes around my waist. I slap it off. Like, I gave his arm a hot slap that he had to remove it at once.

"I don't blame you. It's me that is giving you listening ear. Rubbish"

He chuckles again and I just feel like drowning him in hot sauce. I ignore him and begin to pack my things. When he notices that I don't have his time, he leaves.

I haven't cried. My roommate, Rita, is dead. Why no tears? Do I even feel guilty? I should because I didn't advice her well against the abortion. She is dead and it's my fault.

I shrug my bag off my shoulders and I take my phone out. I see ten missed calls from Sandra and four from Aaron. I shake my head and drop my phone back into my bag. I don't have much possessions. The ones I had are burnt now. I just have little things so I organize them and begin to wander around our community in search of a vacant place.

I keep searching while my ringtone echoes from my bag. I should pick Sandra's call, right? But I can't. I'm not ready for it.

I'm weak. I'm getting tired. I'm getting tired of trying. I'm getting tired of fighting. Giving up seems like the best for me because I AM TIRED. Who is out there? Who can help me? Where can I seek hope and courage to fight back? It's Me versus this uncaring world.

A/N: Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment and Vote. I truly appreciate. ❤️ If you are enjoying this book, send any emojis of your choice.