Chapter 7: Debates

After Oregon left Wales' office, the remaining ships were silent for a few moments. Finally, Enterprise addressed the elephant in the room.

"Does anyone else think that it was a little early for asking him for help?"

Cleveland, Belfast, and Hornet nodded in agreement, while Wales hung her head.

"That was premature of me to ask. I just thought it would be a good idea to ask him at that time if he could help us," she said somewhat sheepishly.

"Well, all I can see you did was make him feel pressured into doing something he was not expecting," Cleveland replied. "Even I could tell he was concerned about his age. I think I would be too, if I was in his situation."

Belfast offered something different. "Let's try looking at it from his perspective. You're about to be scrapped when you're whisked away to an entirely different world from your own. You save a ship from certain death and visit their base. After pouring out your entire life story, the first thing you're asked to do is help them fight an enemy you have no idea about. How would you react?"

"...I think I would feel pressured and self-conscious about my ability to contribute."

"Well, if I had to guess, I would think that right now Oregon feels...useless. After all we did hear him complain about how he was treated in his world and what it eventually led to. Don't you think he needs time to get used to his new life?" Hornet was pensive.

"I will apologize to him tomorrow. It's the only right thing to do at this point. But as he said himself, it's late. We should all get some rest."

"Alright. Hopefully the morning will see this issue cleared up. Goodnight, Wales." Enterprise stood up, waved to the group, and left the room.

"I gotta check on my little sisters. I never got to tell them what happened today. 'Night everyone!" Cleveland left too, almost at a jogging pace.

"I need to properly rest. I still feel sore after that beating. Goodnight." Hornet slowly got to her feet and carefully made her way out.

Wales and Belfast were left alone to chat some more. "What things were you able to notice about Oregon, Bel?"

"He is a hard person to read, Your Majesty. In time, he may open up to us. Right now I think it's too early even for me to find out anything about him without seeming like I'm prying."

"I see. We shall have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens."

*******

Hornet had decided to spend the night on her carrier, since she knew she wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon, and her carrier was the only place where she could have some peace and quiet at night.

As she sat on her flight deck, admiring the moonlit bay, she could see yellow lights in the distance. Squinting, Hornet could make out the moonwashed outline of Oregon's ship.

She began to think over everything that had happened over the past couple of days. She was staring death in the face but was suddenly and inexplicably rescued by a shipboy who turned out to be far older and more experienced than any of them.

Not only that, he alone had stood up to the crane sisters and Eugen's fleet and was partly responsible for their withdrawal.

What kind of ship had guts like that? A ship that had seen everything, faced almost everything, and lived a long time. Oregon was all of those, and likely more.

Hornet still didn't know why Oregon decided to intervene when he did. Did he do it out of pure concern, or did he only manage to show up when he did, or was there a deeper reason?

And for better or for worse, Hornet thought she already had feelings for him, despite only having met him a day or two ago.

While fully knowing how outmoded and downright weak he was compared to her and the other shipgirls, he had protected Hornet when she was at her most vulnerable, and bravery (or perhaps stupidity) like that cannot help but be admired.

But any hopes for getting to know him a little better personally seemed to have been dashed to bits with Wales' near-demand for him to help Azur Lane. At least for now. Oregon's likely too worked up for a bit to be easily approachable for things like that.

Sixty years. The very thought of that much time was staggering. No ship that Hornet knew had ever served that long, not counting the legend of the Constitution.

Most of Oregon's life didn't seem to be the best either, judging from the way he had described it. Perhaps he just needs a break. A chance to collect himself and try to figure out what he can do.

As Hornet continued to gaze at Oregon's distant ship, she was snapped out of her thoughts when she noticed the lights disappearing. Soon there was just a shadow darker than the dark surrounding it, but certain parts of the ship were still slightly moonlit.

Enough of these thoughts, Hornet. You have to get some actual rest.

Stiffly she got to her feet and began walking toward her carrier's bridge, where a much needed sleep was waiting.