Chapter 9: History Over Breakfast

It took a while for Oregon to get himself out of the mental hole his depression surge had dug. When he was able to recognize where he was, it was getting close to about 7:00 in the morning. Time sure flies when you have depression.

"Well, guess I ought to check back in with Prince of Wales and the others. See if they still think I can help them."

It might go without saying that the effects of this particular depressional episode would stick around for a while.

Slowly and reluctantly walking onto the docks, he met few shipgirls. He kept his shadowed gaze* where he was walking, but with his peripheral vision he was able to notice the varied looks he was given. They ranged from surprise to interest to even a few rather disturbing looks of desire. The latter utterly disgusted Oregon, although of course he hid his emotions under an expression of neutrality.

"Time to add to my list that some of these shipgirls are to be stayed away from at all costs," he thought to himself. "Is that all they think about? If that's the case with the other factions I have yet to meet, I might as well flee and live alone."

At any rate he had already decided to avoid any confrontations if possible.

Until he felt something land on his back. Little arms and legs wrapped around his body as the unknown figure commandeered his back.

"Mmm...nice back...zzzzzz," the figure said as they seemed to fall asleep right on Oregon's back.

"And who might you be, little destroyer?" he asked.

"Zzzz...Laffey..." the rabbit-eared destroyer murmured.

"Nice to meet you Laffey, but why are you on my back?"

"Laffey...heard rumors of a new ship...and Laffey wanted to try out their back, so...zzzz..."

Oregon shrugged to himself and continued walking. At least Laffey's assertiveness had managed to break him out of his dark thoughts, so that was a comfort.

"Are you hungry, Laffey?"

"Zzzz...a little..."

"Then guide me to the mess hall. I've only been here overnight so I'm still pretty unfamiliar with your base."

"Zzzz...okay..."

Even though at times Laffey seemed to be sound asleep, she still gave directions to Oregon to get to the mess hall.

It was a large building, part of the main dorm complex and not far from the headquarters building. Through its large windows he could see shipgirls beginning to line up for food, while others were already at their tables.

"Alright Laffey. I'm going to set you down now."

"Zzzz...but Laffey is comfortable..."

"If you get off now I can give you more piggyback rides later," Oregon suggested.

Laffey perked up a little and soon relinquished his back. Yawning mightily, she pushed open the door to the mess hall with Oregon not far behind.

He got more looks but it seemed that no one was either curious enough or brave enough to approach him. But they had seen him arrive with Laffey, so that had relaxed them a little.

Removing his hat as he entered, he looked around to try and locate anyone he recognized. He noticed someone waving to him and saw Cleveland, what must have been her sisters, and Hornet all at a table.

But first the lady serving the breakfast called to him. She was a tall, mature woman, suggesting her status as a capital ship. Her dress was like that of the American Southwest.