conversations with the unknown

Antigonism (I met a man who wasn't there)

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

(By William Hudghes Mearns.)

Chapter 1

The nightmares were always there in the huge room I shared with the rest of the girls in the sleeping hall

The nightmares were always there in the huge room I shared with the rest of the girls in the sleeping hall. But this was a new story and I knew that it will make me more of a freak than I already was. It did not just not make sense but it tore my broken world into pieces.

Creatures of the night just don't exist!

It all started with a sweet day; a warm and a cool breeze with the normal food that we eat to survive. We do chores in groups following the normal work timetable.

Another thing that was on our routine was church; an old building that was built in the 16 century and it had stayed in work for many years. The church had soothing lyrics and humming of the church choir. There was a long wooded chair that the audience sat. They were covered with nuns, children and men and women. The eyes of the one leading the song were closed and her fingers were silently moving through the piano. I could see passion fron her eyes.

The choir finished with a loud sign and a unison of happy applaud from the audience. The priest was talking judging from the movement of his lips but I was too consumed in my own world to see people rising up from the wooden chairs.

It felt like I had lost time while day dreaming of the outside world. Ever since i was brought here, I was never allowed to move out of this place. Well, technically, we were all not allowed.

"It possibly could not be any different from this place, right?" I thought.

The sunday service was over before I even noticed it and everyone left the church.

Children were moving around playing that game called, hide and seek, one little boy bumped on my feet. He fell down and got up at the very moment and went away with giggles. I sat on a large table and above me was wall that had words printed in black, " St Peters orphanage" in big bold latters.

The weather was the same and the sky had lightly covered the white clouds. The birds were louder than usual, that day. The day was going perfectly. I was going down the hill from where the church was at and going towards the orphanage hall. From a corner of my eyes, I saw sister Theressa having a conversation with the priest, father Peters XVI. Her eyes were on me throughout the conversation. Another sister coughs and that was when sister Theressa moved her eyes from me.

The priest walked away with a frown on his face and sister Theressa turned her back and started to whisper with the other sisters. That wants new to me.

The night of that day was extremely cold and the thin and light duvet could not make much of a barrier from my petite body and the wild cold in the room. I suspected that the room had an unwanted open space, maybe more.