The owl whistled

The sun was burning the leaves to the point where I could see dark mist flying from the scattered leaves.

Barefooted kids cried while scratching their feet and run to the church.

Sister Lisa was watching from a far. I could feel her eyes guarding my every move. She felt guilty of what she had told me yesterday. I learned a lot yesterday. I could say I learned everything there was to know.

Her eyes trailed and followed my hands to the burning leaves on the ground. I saw her body freeze and then move from the wall she had leaned on and started walking towards me.

She didnt need to tell me I was the one who was smoking the leaves to ashes, that it was not actually the sun. It was all written in her determined face. I knew I was the one who was going to be smocked by her mare stare.

"You will destroy our cover" she warned. I was too tired to respond. The sun was burning the leaves to the point where I could see dark mist flying form the scattered leaves. Barefooted kids cried while scratching their feet and run to the church.

Sister Lisa was watching from far. I could feel her eyes guarding my every move. She felt guilty of what she had told me yesterday. I learned a lot yesterday. I could say I learned everything there was to know.

Her eyes trailed and followed my hands to the burning leaves on the ground. I saw her body freeze and then move from the wall she had leaned on and started walking towards me.

She didn't need to tell me I was the one who was smoking the leaves to ashes, that it was not the sun. It was all written in her determined face. I knew I was the one who was going to be smocked by her mare stare.
You will destroy our cover she warned. I was too tired to respond.

"There is something I didn't tell you" she started. "I think I have had enough to last me for the whole week sister" I answered. I got up and left her there. She followed, of course, silently and I increased my speed almost unhuman speed.

"Thabo!" sister Lisa hissed behind me. It must have brought some unnecessary attention because Sister Theresa stared with interest with a cunning smile. Sister Theresa said something to her companion who to my absent mind was father Mateyu, which was not good.

I felt like making myself small and be one with the air, Sister Lisa grabbed me and pulled me away before making any attempts.
"Finally far from curious ears", Sister Lisa even hissed louder.

I was let go after being given an earful of what was at stake, what lives were at stake. My life, my friends lives and the whole supernatural world, they were all at stake. Joshua was hitting on Mwayi who was all smiles.

At night I stayed and waited for the wind to enter into the sleeping whole and whisper soothing lyrics hidden from reality. I chose to let my eyes to flip through the four walls of the room. Capturing and memorizing every detail was how the moon shined through the opened curtains, the details of snores like horses in the war.

I took note of the silence apart from the roomed snores, like something outside was sucking the noise. It was sucking the warm air and leaving only cold tingling air that leaves you on urge 'til you lay flat on your bed and count all the imaginary stars up to the point of counting the sun. That was me. Too afraid to blink to afraid to sleep. I wanted to make sure no one steals my sunny tomorrow.

Tomorrow was going to be the day. My day.

~*~

I had slept after I heard the owl cry. Someone had stolen my day.
I had to pry upon the night and then close my eyes.

When the owl whistled, something stole my day
Tama was humming, Kumbu was wondering her eyes to the window, and I was lost in thoughts. Mwayi was speaking to Kumbu who appeared to be far away staring at the window.. Was nowhere to be seen?

Everything was all set. We were just waiting for the signal. It was tricky to escape people in a blink of eye. Literally.

Sister Lisa had said the campus she gave me will glow and that meant that time had been stopped and we had to move.

We were together, I was seated, hand crossed, Eli brushing his hair like retracing a trail of a nightmare that is so fragile. Joshua was hitting on Mwayi who was all smiles and drooling on what I suppose was Joshua's face. Tiya was reapply her dark red lipstick while flying and blowing a kiss at the mirror. Tiya was talking to the subconscious Eli who was in his own world as he moved his hands in his hair. Brushing away every insanity, trying to withdraw to the real world.

Kumbu was looking at the sun, unblinkingly. There was Stanley who I have learned was seventeen and was going to be taken to the outside world in the next season and other people.

Sister Lisa said that the carriage can only take twenty one people at a time so we only took those who were in the verge of soon being taken to be experimented on, in the name of going to the outside world. I didn't fully trust Sister Lisa but I was willing to take my chances although I had no chances at that matter.

We were waiting for the blink of an eye.

.....

And again my readers, Vote and comment every story chapter