Chapter Twenty Five

Don't say anything. I've been updating this entire time.
-LB

A GIRL WITH NO NAME AWOKE TO A SMALL HAND TOUCHING HER ARM.

The Girl had been there for nearly two weeks now and her wounds were healing quite nicely. Lady Crane and Jeyne had been accommodating and careful with her.

Although, her favorite person in the quaint household was Jeyne's little boy. He couldn't talk much, as most of his sentences ended with babbling, but he was the sweetest child she'd ever met. On days where the home was quiet and Jeyne had nothing to do while Lady Crane is away, they'd come in and sit with her.

The Girl with No Name remembered falling asleep after taking a dose of medicine that was left on her table side. She remembered being alone, so Jeyne must have come home from their daily walk.

As the Girl's eyes adjusted, she found the little boy making a grab for her bracelet on the nightstand.

"No, don't touch that!" The Girl made a quick motion to grab the bracelet, resulting in her pulling on her wound. She winced, letting out a groan and falling back onto the pillow.

The little boy jumped, tearing up as a small whimper left his lips.

The Girl closed her eyes in pain, and partially because she didn't want to see the boy cry. She hadn't meant to yell at him or scare him, only to protect him. She was told a long time ago that no one outside of those she trusted, mainly her family, could touch the bracelet.

"What's happening in here?" Jeyne asks as she walks into the room. Her little boy ran to her, clutching onto her leg. "I'm sorry if he woke you up. I turned my back for a moment."

"No" the Girl says breathlessly, eyes still closed. "No, it's okay. I'm sorry for scaring him. I didn't mean to."

"He didn't break anything I hope? He's always been a bit too curious for his own good."

Once the pain has subsided, the Girl opens her eyes. She looks over to the night stand, only too see the bracelet missing. She sat up, slowly this time, and looked over the bed. The red jewel emitted a soft pulsing glow on the hardwood floor, almost as if it were alive.

Before the Girl could reach over for it, Jeyne had approached. "Here, let me. You're in no condition to moving like that."

The Girl wasn't able to get a single word out before Jeyne took the bracelet in her hand. The Girl had seen others touch the bracelet and instantly convulse on the ground, foaming at the mouth until they stopped breathing. Her brothers and sister, her immediate family, had touched it without a problem.

So how is it that Jeyne had picked it up from the ground and remained standing? How is she still breathing?

"It doesn't look scratched or anything. I apologize for my son's knack for getting into things he shouldn't. He takes after his father in that aspect."

A crestfallen look appeared on her face at the mention of the child's father. It's clear that she's grieving and probably will continue for a long time, especially with the young child on her hip to remind her of her partner.

Still, the Girl took the bracelet from her outstretched hand, mouth slightly parted in confusion.

"Who is his father?"