Chapter Eight

MAESTER LUWIN WATCHED SILENTLY FROM BEHIND THE BARS OF MARINA'S CELL

Theon had thought it fitting to throw the woman in prison out of spite. The sorceress had not acted accordingly to Theon's standards. The sea prince had wanted Marina to break so that he could catch a glimpse into her hidden power, and perhaps use it for his gain.

That had not happened. So, instead, she had been thrown back into her cell and isolated from everyone. Everyone except the Maester.

The guards that Theon appointed to make sure Marina didn't receive visitors was easy enough to distract. A few women from the brothel were eager to participate as distractions for little to no coin. However he didn't know how long it would last.

"Marina, you mustn't lay here in your grief" the Maester said. "This isn't helping any one."

The sorceress's temple lay numbly on the cool concrete wall in the darkest corner of the cell. Her red dress, ripped in different parts, did nothing to protect her from the cold, but she had long since become numb to the feeling. It had been a few days, maybe three, since she had seen Bran and Rickon's burned bodies hanging from the archway. Though Theon, ever the considerate and thoughtful man, made sure that her cell's window offered the perfect view of their corpses billowing in the wind.

"Tell me, Maester." she started, "How am I supposed to feel?"

The older man sighed, straightening his back when Marina looked over at him. Her head rolled, her eyes bored.

"Happy? Happy that the only things I cared about in this wretched world were hanged and burned to death? By Theon of all people." Marina bitterly spat, pressing her temple back onto the stone wall. "Or angry? Vengeful? Which one, Maester?"

"I'd like to think that I raised you better than this."

Marina's head snapped as fast as a lightening bolt towards the Maester. Her natural green eyes were replaced with a bright red hue that left the older man paralyzed. He had seen them before, of course, but never in this magnitude and never directed at himself. As quickly as the redness appeared they disappeared.

"Raised me?" She repeated, testing the words on her tongue. The bitterness nearly made her vomit. "Just like you raised Theon? Now look at him, torturing little boys that treated him as if he were family."

"That's not how I meant it-"

"OI!" Hollered a voice, startling the Maester. "YER NOT 'POSE TO BE IN 'ERE OLD MAN!" One of the guards hollered, making the Maester jump and spin on his old heels. The guard grabbed the Maester's arm in a firm grip, tugging him out of the room. Before they left though, Maester Luwin glanced behind him for a short moment, watching as Marina's eyes change back to their original green before she turned back to the dark corner, curling into a small ball.

Defeated.

It had been fortuitous one winter afternoon. The Maester had released Bran from his studies, Lord Stark dismissed Robb from training and the Septa unwillingly let Sansa and Arya go with homework. Regardless, the Stark children, with the addition of Jon, finally have a day to themselves with one another.