A Night to Remember... or Forget

Cold earth surrounds me as I walk back and forth staring at the door. I knock, announcing I'm coming. A man's voice says "come in". As I come into the room the fireplace glows with orange embers. The yellow flames dance and it radiates a gold hue. A man sits in front of the fire and I can barely make him out from the back of the armchair. I go over and sit myself down on the other armchair in front of the fireplace. I pick up a glass of brandy that's already made and have a sip.

Why am I doing this? I should leave. My emotions take hold of me and I start to leave. The man steps up from his chair and pins me against the door. I try to unlock the door but he just stares into my eyes and indicates please don't go. Our lips touch and I pull myself to him. The door is open now. I don't care if people look at us. He says "It's only for tonight". My ebony hair falls over my shoulders and onto my back.

"I know," I say to him. "It's only for tonight. I'll leave you in the morning. I don't know why I am doing this to myself."

"You love me," he says.

"I know I do but I have to think about my career."

"Don't think about your career! Think about tonight."

He scooped me up like a baby into his arms.