A New Case

Narrator's POV
"What are you doing here?" Akane managed to blurt out after a moment of awkward silence. Everyone's eyes shifted to her as she blushed and continued to lock eyes with Kogami.

"Good to see you too, Inspector Tsunemori. You're looking well," he smirked at her, but it didn't reach his eyes. He nodded quickly to the other two. "Inspector Ginoza. Enforcer Kunizuka."

Akane noted vaguely that he was wearing his usual suit and tie, but didn't comment. Instead, she quietly stepped inside the room as she struggled to process the fact that Kogami was here, really, truly here.

"Actually," Ginoza spoke up, calm and collected as usual, "it's Enforcer Ginoza." He watched his old friend and partner's reaction carefully.

Kogami's confident manner faded quickly. "Gino, I -" he began, but Chief Kasei cut him off.

"As I was saying, Ms. Tsunemori," she said emphatically, "under normal circumstances Mr. Kogami would be dead" - here she looked pointedly at Akane, obviously remembering their previous agreement - "but luckily for him, it seems he hasn't outlived his usefulness just yet."

"What do you mean?" Kunizuka asked before Akane could even get the words out.

"I have a case for you," Chief Kasei answered, but she directed her words to Akane. "And I want Mr. Kogami to help you."

"W-What?" Akane managed to stutter out brilliantly. What is wrong with me? Her usually calm and indifferent demeanor had disappeared and Akane had no idea what to do. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she tried to collect herself. Get it together, Tsunemori. When Akane opened her eyes, she noticed that Kogami was watching her closely. She ignored him and spoke directly to the chief. "I mean, what's the case?"

Chief Kasei tapped a few buttons on her keyboard before a screen popped up on the hologram on her desk. Akane stepped closer, barely aware of Ginoza and Kunizuka behind her or Kogami next to her. On the screen was the file for a woman.

"Mariko Otori, age 31. She comes from a very old, very distinguished family in Japan. When she turned 23, she went to America and hasn't been heard from since. That is, until three days ago, when she turned up unconscious in a warehouse on Block 42." The screen changed to show the image of a dark-haired girl lying on the floor of an empty room.

"How did she end up there?" Ginoza asked, stepping closer to the desk and causing Akane to move almost uncomfortably closer to Kogami.

"No one knows." Chief Kasei tapped a few more keys and the screen changed once more, this time to a live feed of what looked like a padded white room. The same girl was sitting on a bed with her knees drawn up to her chest. "She hasn't spoken since we found her." Her long brown hair was still loose and wild, but now Akane could see the girl's face. The anger in the girl's ice blue eyes startled her and she took a step back, right into Kogami.

She blushed and looked up at him sheepishly as she mouthed an apology. He smirked at her and pushed her forward slightly. Akane ignored the warmth in her cheeks and tried to listen to Kunizuka, who was now speaking.

"That's one the Sibyl mental hospitals, isn't it?" Kunizuka observed. "Why is she there?"

"That is exactly why you're here." Chief Kasei changed the screen a third time. "The crime coefficients you see there both belong to Ms. Otori. The first is from when we found her unconscious; the second is from the day after she was admitted."

Akane couldn't help but stare in shock at the numbers. The first was pitch black, darker than any other Psycho-Pass she'd ever seen. 1564, huh? That's even higher than Mr. Togane's was. She shook the thought out of her head and looked at the next number. 15. Somehow, Mariko's crime coefficient had dropped 1,500 in a matter of hours. Kind of like what Kamui could do.

"Did anyone see her during that time?" Akane asked.

Ginoza looked at her. "You thinking there's a second Kamui out there?" Ginoza asked, voicing her thoughts. Akane nodded.

The chief shook her head. "No one has spoken to Ms. Otori at any point during her holding. Her family is requesting that we release her now that her hue has dropped back down, but we're stalling them to see if it rises again. Legally, though, we can only hold her for two more days."

"So what does this have to do with us? Or, more specifically, me?" Kogami questioned.

"We would like you to help Inspector Tsunemori and her team find out what happened to Ms. Otori to make her crime coefficient so high, as well as how she was able to make it drop so low again. Originally, you weren't even supposed to know about this case, but the Sibyl System has decided that your past experiences, not to mention your education under Jyoji Saiga, make you the ideal investigator for this case."

"Wait, so Professor Saiga is helping us with this case as well?" Akane asked. The chief nodded.

"You've already been cleared to pick him up on your way to the facility where Ms. Otori is being held. Any other questions?" For a moment, the room was filled with silence. "Good. You're all dismissed."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sorry for the short chapters, I just really wanted to get the beginning over with. Also, please forgive the Kogami x Akane moments, my shipping feels just couldn't resist. xD Hopefully the next few chapters will be longer! What do you guys think of the story so far? Please vote and comment!

~Rias

P.S. Here's part 2 of Kogami x Akane edit. Let me know what you think!