Truth (Part 2)

Hey guys! So the bad news is, there's only one chapter left of Bound by Fate after this one :( But the good news is, chapter one of my new Kogami fic Caught Up in the Moment is already up :) Anyways, onto the story...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When I woke up, I was in an all-white room. I tried to look around, but my head was pounding. I groaned and tried to raise my hand to my forehead, but nothing happened. Why can't I move my arm? Fighting against the pounding headache, I looked down at my arm. I was wearing a white hospital gown which revealed the bandages holding my arm to my chest.

"What the hell?" I muttered to myself as I tried to sit up.

"You shouldn't try to move. The doctors said you'd be out of commission for a while." I froze as the all-too familiar voice registered in my mind.

Shinya Kogami.

I slowly lifted my eyes to see the ex-Enforcer watching me. He was sitting in a plastic chair beside my bed. "Hey," I greeted tentatively.

"Hey," he replied. His expression was unreadable, though it seemed like he was struggling between anger and worry. Worry must have won out because his next words were sincere. "I'm glad you're awake."

Smiling softly, I nodded and tried to sit up – a difficult task with only one arm. Luckily, Shinya realized what I was doing and handed me a remote to control the bed. After adjusting it so that I was in a semi-sitting position, I spoke once more, "Are you okay?"

He chuckled bitterly. "You just took a bullet in the chest and you're asking if I'm okay?" Shaking his head, Shinya sighed. "Talk about getting your priorities straight."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "My arm is numb, presumably from the multiple painkillers in those IV bags, so I'm not too concerned," I told him plainly. "Besides, I deserved that bullet."

"No, you didn't." His tone was firm, causing me to open my eyes in surprise. Can he really mean that after everything I've put him through? Shinya's blue eyes were fierce, but the anger didn't seem to be directed at me – not all of it, at least. "Trust me, I have every intention of beating the shit out of Ginoza once I know you're going to be okay."

"And I have every intention of avoiding you for as long as possible until you calm down," replied yet another familiar voice. We both looked up to see Ginoza himself smiling at the two of us from the doorway, along with the rest of Division One, much to my surprise.

"Speak of the devil," I began, grinning at the dark-haired Enforcer.

"And the devil shall lurk in the doorway like a creeper," finished Kogami with a smirk.

Ginoza glowered at his friend, but it was Karanomori who spoke first. Turning to Ginoza, she said, "Hello, kettle. Meet my friend pot."

Shinya stared at her in shock. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" he demanded indignantly.

"Nothing," Karanomori replied with a smirk. "Just that not all of us can sit by Mariko's bedside for two days straight and watch her sleep."

I smiled as the team laughed while Shinya's cheeks turned bright red. It was so odd for him to be flustered like that, I found I rather liked that side of him. However, my mood abruptly changed as Karanomori's words registered.

"Wait," I said, interrupting the light-hearted mood. "You mean I've been out for two whole days?!" The others nodded grimly. "What the hell happened? The last thing I remember is getting shot by..." I trailed off, unwilling to finish the sentence.