Truth (Part 1)

"So," he began, his voice dangerously calm. "Now that you've heard the case, let me ask you my question."

"Ko, please," I tried again, but was immediately silenced by a warning glare. He pulled back the hammer and adjusted his aim.

"Shut up and listen," he ordered, his voice harsh. I fought the urge to flinch. "Let's do a hypothetical. You did those in college, right? I'm sure Makishima did one or two with you as well." I nodded, unable to speak.

"Let's say the suspect disappeared from Japan say, oh, about eight years ago. And at some point during those eight years, she met up with Shogo Makishima and started a plan to take down the Sybil System. After he died, she revised the plan and decided to infiltrate the Sybil System three years later in order to take down the system and get revenge. So, she drugs herself and poses as a shipwreck survivor, all the while knowing that her 'nightmares' raised her Psycho-Pass.

"Three days pass, and she manages to involve Division One and her primary target in the case, like she knew her almost pure white Psycho-Pass would. She is invited to become an Enforcer for the MWPSB, a position she eagerly accepts. Shortly after, she stages an attack by a criminal in order to gain the trust of her targets, a task she completes beautifully, if I might add.

"But all the while, her target has been watching her, listening in to her conversations on her brand-new, bugged communicator." Here, he paused and looked at me sadly. "When he finally has enough evidence to take down the suspect, however, the target realizes something. He realizes that the suspect has played him well, and now he's in love with her." My eyes widened at his confession. He's in love with me? "The target has the suspect right where he wants her, but there is nothing he can do without watching everything he loves collapse in on itself, as she so eloquently put it."

This time I did flinch at his words and tears filled my eyes. I realized that this was it, this was Shinya Kogami, the man who beat Shogo Makishima. He was wild and dangerous, like an animal, and I knew that, much like his white-haired counterpart, only bloodshed would tame him. I looked away, unable to meet his furious blue eyes any longer.

"So tell me," he said after a few moments of silence. His voice cracked, causing me to look up. His angry demeanor was gone now, replaced by a broken shell of a man I barely recognized as Shinya Kogami. Is this it? I wondered. Is this the core of Shinya Kogami? "What should I do?" he breathed when my eyes met his. My heart shattered. And it wasn't his lost look or his broken voice that tore me apart a hundred different ways and put me back together only to do it all over again. No, it was his eyes. His beautiful, ice blue eyes which were bright with the tears I had caused.

Suddenly, the mission didn't matter anymore. Getting revenge, the Sybil System, not a single bit of it mattered. All I cared about was Shinya and I needed him to know it.

"That's an interesting hypothetical," I told him carefully. He raised an eyebrow at me. "May I offer a secondary perspective?" Kogami studied me for a moment, his expression unreadable. I gave him a pleading look. After what felt like eternity, he nodded and motioned for me to continue.

"Suppose this suspect, as you said, disappears for about eight years. But not of her own free will. She is taken, or rather, given away by the very people she trusts most in this world - her family. She is sold as collateral damage into a human trafficking ring as collateral for her gambling-addict brother's debts." Kogami's eyes widened as I spoke.

"After a few years, she meets a man. Now, in the beginning, she doesn't trust this man. After three long years of human trafficking, she didn't trust any man. But she soon realizes he is unlike any other man she'd ever met. He isn't interested in sex or abuse, but instead decides to spend their time discussing classic literature and music. His name," I paused, unsure of how my next words would affect Shinya. "Is Shogo Makishima.