Dream a Little Dream of Me

"Here we are." Kogami stopped in front of a door. The walk to my room had been silent and uneventful, luckily for me. It had been a long day, and I wasn't in the mood to meet the other team members. "My room is right across the hall," he gestured to the door opposite mine, "so if you need anything, I'll be right here. I'd show you around more, but I figured you'd had a long day, so..." he trailed off.

I nodded. "Yeah, thanks. I guess I'll be meeting the others tomorrow then?" Kogami had told me about the rest of the team during dinner. Of course, it wasn't anything I didn't already know, but it still made knowing about them one less thing to lie about. After the ex-Enforcer confirmed my question, I continued. "Well, thanks for dinner. And, you know, getting me out of that hell-hole," I added jokingly. "Good night."

"Good night," he said stiffly. I studied him for a moment. Ever since my phone call, Kogami had been acting strange, almost distant. Which reminds me... "Here." I handed him back his communicator. "I forgot to give it back to you earlier."

Kogami studied the device before shaking his head. "Keep it. You'll be needing one anyway. I can just get a new one tomorrow." I nodded and thanked him. Kogami extended his hand. "Good night, Mariko." He smiled at me.

I hesitated before returning his smile. "Good night, Shinya." I took his hand shook it firmly. I was surprised to feel a twinge of emptiness after I released his hand. What the hell? Turning quickly, I rushed into my room and closed the door. Locking it, I sighed, closed my eyes, and leaned my forehead on the cold metal. I stayed like that for a moment, thinking.

What is wrong with me? I'm acting like some kind of giddy schoolgirl. I paused, contemplating this thought. Suddenly, a horrible realisation crashed over me like a wave. I can't be developing feelings for him, can I? I shook my head.

"That's ridiculous," I said out loud to no one in particular.

Is it? The annoying little voice in the back of my mind spoke. Be honest with yourself. Like you said, he isn't what you expected. And you can't deny the similarities between him and Shogo.

"He is nothing like Shogo!" I yelled. For a moment the room was filled with silence. "Great," I muttered. "Now I'm talking to myself." Dismissing my temporary mental breakdown, I walked over to my bed, too tired to care that the lights were on. I kicked off my heels and dug through my purse for my clothes compact. I changed the setting to Sleep Mode and smirked at the tank top and boy shorts my dress transformed into. Setting the compact down on my nightstand, I collapsed onto my bed.

My last conscious thought before falling asleep was of the emptiness I felt when I released Kogami's hand.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Mariko? Mariko! Are you in there?" I was awakened by a sudden pounding. I groaned and dragged myself out of bed.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I trudged to the door and pulled it open. "What do you -?" I stopped as I realized who standing at my door.

Shinya Kogami.

He was breathing hard and his blue-grey eyes were wild. Vaguely, I noted that he had a very bad case of bedhead which added an almost boyish quality to his face. For the most part though, the main thing that caught my attention was the fact that he was shirtless. I blushed as I realized just how close we were standing and just how much skin my own outfit showed.

Shaking the thought out of my head, I cleared my throat straightened. "Mr. Kogami," I said. "What are you doing here?"

The words had barely left my mouth when he stepped forward and pressed his lips to mine in a wild kiss. I gasped in surprise and Kogami took that as invitation. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me. I placed hands on his muscular arms and wrapped my legs around his waist. With a pleasure-filled groan, he carried me to my bed, not once breaking the kiss.

Kogami stopped at my bed and laid me down gently so that I was on my back and he was above me with his arms placed on either side of my head. He paused for a moment, a strange look in his eye.

"You are beautiful," Kogami told me, his voice husky. I pulled him down to me silently and our lips crashed together once more. I closed my eyes and moaned in pleasure. When I opened them again, however, it wasn't Shinya Kogami looking down at me.

It was Shogo Makishima.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I woke up screaming. After a minute, I calmed down and closed my eyes. "Just a dream," I chanted to myself. That was one hell of a dream, the annoying voice in the back of my mind commented. I opened my eyes, ignoring the mental comment and sat up in bed, my legs swinging over the edge. I took a deep breath and groaned as I glanced at the digital clock next to my bed. Six in the morning.

Oh well, I thought, might as well get up. I doubted I would be able to sleep after... whatever the hell that had been. I looked around the room for a bit as I tried to get my bearings. Eventually, I gave up and decided to go take a shower.

As I bathed, I thought about what my dream had meant. I considered that 'nightmare' might have been a better word for it. Though I had to admit, the beginning had been pretty nice...

I shook the thought out of my head immediately. What the hell was I thinking? Oh god, I realized. This doesn't mean I could be falling for him, does it? I slapped myself lightly on the cheek.

Of course it doesn't, I rationalized. I just met him, stuff like that only happens in bad movies.

Then again, that same annoying voice from earlier argued, you two did have quite a fun night last night. When was the last time you laughed like that?

I sighed, remembering the way Kogami had smiled when I told him a joke, and the passion in his eyes when we got into a heated argument over literature. Not even Shogo had ever gotten like that.

"Because he's not Shogo," I finally said aloud. "Kogami killed him, and it's my job to finish Shogo's work. I need to grow up and stop letting my feelings get in the way." With the resolution in mind, I stepped out of the shower and dress quickly.

As I looked through my compact, I chose a pair of jeans with a black top and a fitted black leather jacket. For my shoes, I chose a pair of black combat boots. Not exactly business formal, I know, but it was my first day back in Japan and business had never really been my style anyway.

Just as I finished putting my long brown hair into a high ponytail, someone knocked on the door. "Mariko? Mariko! Are you in there?" I blushed and stared at the door. It was Kogami's voice.

"Coming!" I yelled and tried not skip over to the door. When I opened it, Kogami was standing outside, - fully clothed, thankfully - with a woman accompanying him. She was short and thin, and she was dressed professionally, with a black blazer over a white top and a matching black blazer. She had large brown eyes and her brown hair was cropped to her chin.

"Morning, Mariko." Kogami spoke, distracting me from the woman instantly. I returned the greeting as I chastised myself for responding to him like a lost puppy. "This Inspector Akane Tsunemori."

I smiled and extended my hand. "It's nice to meet you. Mr. Kogami's told me a lot about you." The Inspector smiled and shook my hand in return.

"We were wondering if you would like to have breakfast with us. That way you could meet the rest of the team," Kogami explained quickly. Once more, he seemed nervous and shy, just like he had the night before. I wondered briefly if it was my presence that caused that reaction. Akane's raised eyebrow gave me a gleeful hunch that it might be.

"Sure," I responded immediately. "I'd love to." Kogami smiled at me and together the three of us walked to what I had no idea would be the beginning of my greatest adventure.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hi guys! Please don't kill me! *hides behind Kogami* XD Anyway, sorry I haven't been updating, life has just been really crazy, but hopefully I'll be able to start updating regularly now. I also have another original story in the works that I hope to put up soon. Also, sorry about the sexual frustration, I just had to! ;P Please vote and comment! Love you guys!

~Rias