Old Friends and Overdue Discussions

Kogami's POV
"Mr. Kogami, you and Inspector Tsunemori will pick up Mr. Saiga on your way to see Ms. Otori." The chief ordered. I nodded, looking down at the brown-haired Inspector beside me. She seemed different somehow, harder to read. I didn't doubt her case with Kirito Kamui had hardened her heart as well as sharpened her mind.

We exchanged pleasantries with the chief once more before leaving. The elevator ride was filled with tense silence, as was the walk to the Division 1 office. Akane walked in without hesitation and began speaking.

"Ms. Shimotsuki, Mr. Hinakawa this is Shinya Kogami. He will be working with us on our newest case. I expect you to cooperate fully with him, is that understood?" The girl rolled her eyes but nodded. I could tell she didn't care much for Akane or the Enforcers.

The red-haired boy stood and offered me his hand. "Sho Hinakawa, pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kogami. I've heard a lot about you."

I took his hand and smiled. "Looking forward to working with you." The boy seemed shy and, from the shocked expressions of everyone in the room, he rarely spoke this much. I glanced at his workstation and noticed the bowl of rice and pills. Drug addict, huh? Interesting.

"Ginoza, brief Mr. Hinakawa and Ms. Shimotsuki on the case. The four of you will be going to the warehouse where Ms. Otori was found. I'll have Ms. Karanomori send you the details. Mr. Kogami and I will go down to brief her and then we'll be heading to the mental facility where Ms. Otori is staying after picking up Professor Saiga."

After everyone was clear on their jobs, Akane and I walked out once more, this time headed for where Shion worked. The elevator ride was once more silent and uneventful. As we walked, I watched Akane out of the corner of my eye. Something was definitely off about her, though I couldn't figure out what it was. Suddenly, we stopped right in front of Shion's office.

"I'm sure you have quite a few questions for me, as do I for you, but if you wouldn't mind holding off until the car that would be great," Akane spoke without looking at me. I looked up at her, surprised by her sudden order. I stared at her, too surprised to speak. She looked at me expectantly and I nodded, at a loss. She smiled at me wryly then turned back to the door. "Good." I remained silent as she slid her ID card through the reader at the door.

"Come on in," a familiar voice called. Shion turned around in her chair to welcome Akane. "The chief sent me a message saying you'd be - Kogami?!" I smirked as her chocolate brown eyes widened in shock as she stood. "But - but that's im-impossible," she stammered as she stepped towards me. "I thought you were dead."

I shrugged as I grinned, showing my teeth. "Guess you must be seeing ghosts, then. You really must be crazy," I joked as stepped forward and wrapped her in a bear hug that was entirely unlike us both. After a moment we broke apart and I smiled down at her.

Crack!

I stepped back as I felt the force of her hand against my cheek. I stood there, shocked, as the sound of Shion's slap echoed throughout the room. I put my hand to my cheek and looked at her calmly. "Guess I deserved that," I said evenly, rubbing my cheek. I could barely hear Akane's gasp as Shion struck me once more on the other side of my face. I sighed. "And that." Shion raised her hand once more, but this time I caught it. "I think that's enough, don't you?"

She wrenched herself from my grip angrily. "What the hell, Ko?" Shion growled at me. "Three years, three years, and not a single word from you. Not even a note to let us know you were okay! Do you know what we went through?"

I sighed and lowered my hand. "I couldn't risk contacting you, any of you. Sybil might've considered you a security risk. I didn't want you to be in danger."