the sun however, big and bright

Hayden was feeling a slew of emotions, and he didn't like most of them.

His stomach was churning, the only thing keeping him from throwing up being the man next to him, his head laying in the caretakers lap.

They were on the couch, the newschannel relentlessly blaring about the bombing.

The hero had been too upset to watch with him, which was why he was turned away from the TV. He had his headphones in aswell, either listening to music or a podcast. Hayden wasn't sure.

"-yor Osborn has yet to give a statement about the terrorist attack that happened during a panel of his re-election rally earlier this day. New reports from the NYU medical center have sadly given us information of two more of the nineteen injured passing away, one still in critical condition. This brings the number of casualties up to seven, including Officer Jefferson Davis whom the panel was held for. Witness repo- "

Silence enveloped the room, the brunette not being able to listen to it anymore.

He inhaled heavily, head spinning like it was being put through a fucking blender.

"I'm so sorry.", suddenly came a faint whisper. Hayden looked down to see his hero curling in on himself, the mans hand fisting into his shirt. "I'm sorry."

The caretakers heart cracked, threatening to crumble entirely.

"It's not your fault.", he managed to reassured him as his throat tightened, making it almost impossible to speak.

Spider-Man only shook his head.

"I wasn't there for them. I didn't protect them, I couldn't save them."

His voice was trembling, tears threatening to spill over any second. Hayden wasn't faring much better. It was his turn to shake his head now, tightening his grip on the man in his lap.

"It is not your fault.", he repeated. Something wet hit his hand that was cradling the mans cheek. "It's not. You're just one man. And I don't care what amazing superpowers you have, you literally cannot save everyone. It fucking sucks, I know, but I want you to know that I will never hold something like this against you."

The vigilante jumped up at that, throwing his hands into the air. "You don't understand!", he grit out, grabbing his head with both hands. "It was one hit, one hit against the head and I was out. I couldn't do shit to save them, I was useless! So many people lost their lives because I was too fucking weak!"

Hayden stood, carefully inching forwards. Peter wasn't looking at him, head bowed down, his eyes screwed shut. He winced when the caretakers fingertips brushed over his shoulders.

"You're not useless. You're not weak. What you are is human. And I've never seen you give anything short of your best, which is far more than most people could even fathom. You're my inspiration, you're my hero, and you're more than enough."

Peter sobbed. Strong arms craddled his body, drawing him close, holding him.

The hero removed his tear stained mask, burying his face in the crook of Haydens neck. Hayden inhaled sharply, the feeling of eyelashes fluttering against his skin foreign. He closed his eyes, pressing a kiss into soft, brown hair.

"I've got you.", he whispered, over and over.

_______________________________________

The door shut with a soft click. Green eyes blinked rapidly, trying to adjust to the halls bright lights. It took a little longer than anticipated, leaving him standing there for quite a while.