The Offer

"Sloan is about a yard out. She is lining up her angle. She took a solid put on the green." The narrator says on the radio. "The ball rolls in and-oh wow. Solid put Solid put."

The crowd calmly clapped for my success in the match. My opponent and I shook hands and the game ended. 45-47. It was a close one.

"That was an impressive put from that young lady." I heard people murmur in their ears, boosting my ego entirely.

"You did really well, hun." My mom hugged me and helped me retrieve my bag from the golf cart. I just smiled in embarrassment. I knew I was good, i've been playing golf for years. To me, it was just embarrassing getting compliments on my skills. Although I knew how well my game was, I felt as though people thought I was ignorant and cocky whereas I really wasn't. Or maybe people didn't think that way at all and I am truly egotistical. Whatever it was, I knew I had the skill to put from almost a yard away. Not many people can do that.

My mother and I began to walk towards the country club building when we heard a cough from behind us.

"Petrina Sloan?"

I turned around to face an older man in a suit with another man standing next to him.

"I'm Dean Buckley. I am the headmaster of Eden Hall Academy. Its a preparatory school in Minneapolis, Minnesota." He introduced with a warm smile. "This right here is Micheal Brodie. He is the head coach of our women's golf team."

"Golf team in Minnesota?" I giggle. "You only get the summer to golf up there." My mom elbowed me in the hip. "Which means I get a good resting season." I groan trying to make my comment sound at least semi acceptable.

The man chuckled. "Well our season does start in the fall, closes during the winter, then opens back up for the spring and summer. But I will have you know that we have one of the best women's golf leagues in the nation."

"Yeah, Eden Hall is in top 10."

"You know about us?" Mr. Buckley said. "You've seemed shocked when we mentioned Minneapolis."

"I do my research." I smirk. "Colleges like the schools with the best players."

"And that's why we want you to attend us on a full athletic scholarship."

My mom and I exchanged glances.

"I understand that you may have some other offers from other schools and it is much colder there than it is here in Charleston, South Carolina, however we not only have a great team but we have a great educational system."

I stood there in complete shock. A preparatory school in Minnesota? Miles away from Home? But imagine how great of an opportunity this is!

"You don't have to give us an answer now or even at all, but we would like for you to put us into consideration." Mr. Buckley said.

"We really look forward to seeing you if you accept the scholarship." Coach Brodie said. "This is my card. You ladies have a good one."

I took the card from his hand and the two gentlemen walked away. "Minneapolis?" I murmured.

"Pen, how exciting!" My mother cheered. "Let's go home and tell your father!"

"Wait, but I don't even know if I want to go." I shrugged as I followed my mom to the car.

"Why wouldn't you? It's a full ride to a preparatory school. You have gotten way farther than half your brothers."

I cocked an eyebrow at my mom.

She sighed. "Right, sorry. It's your life, your choices. And it is quite far, and quite cold, and away from your friends and family..."

I opened the trunk and placed my things in the back.

"But it's a great school. Athletically and academically." I sigh.

"Honey, I can't tell if you want me to support this or not support this." My mom placed her hands on her hips.

"Sorry, I don't know either." I whine.

"Give it some time. They did say you didn't have to make a decision now."

I nodded and we got in the car.

Let me give you some background. I grew up in Charleston, South Carolina and I lived there my whole life. My dad was in construction and my mom was a realtor. They had 7 boys. My mother really wanted a girl if you couldn't tell.

My mother grew up doing ballet so she tried getting me into it. I loved the costumes and the elegance it had, however I was never the best dancer. My dad had a live for golf though. And as much as he tried to get my older brothers into it, they never liked how slow it was. Then there was me. Age 11 and I could already swing a ball 170 yards. I went down the golf road instead of ballet.

I had so many more doors open with the golf.

Let me describe my brothers for you.

Chris - He is the oldest and is working on becoming a body builder.
Theo - Second oldest and he competes and dirt bike races and is the biggest conservative known to man.
Toby - The only smart one in the family and is studying political science and plans to go to law school
Matt - He is actually in jail for Grand Theft Auto. My man loves his cars.
Josh - The twin brother of Matt is a complete sweetheart but is on house arrest for whatever reason for the past few months.
Daniel - Couldn't tell you anything about him because he sits in his room all day playing video games.
Andy - We we're inseparable as kids then he got a girl friend and I couldn't tell you the last time I hung out with him. He was also a big Hockey star.

Then that leaves me. Daniel and Andy are the only ones that still live at home.

I sat on the floor against my bed and stared at the card Micheal Brodie gave me. Should I go? What do I have to loose? I don't have many friends here in Charleston, my family is kinda all doing their own thing, school starts back up in a couple weeks and I haven't even gotten my schedule yet.

Maybe I should go. I have a better chance of getting noticed at a school with a great golf team than one that is ranked last in the nation.

I called out to my mom and I ran downstairs.

"I'll go." I say. "What's there to loose?"