Prologue

The golden sun shone down beautifully, emitting a light that favored the color of a monarch's wings. The sky was sharp and beautiful, peeking prettily through the opening at the top of the cave. It resembled the burst of a fresh fruit basket — grape-like hues, oranges, and yellows coated the sky, limning a beautiful picture that looked as if it'd been delicately hand-painted by God himself.

Pastel clouds striped across the sky, the muted colors differing from the bold tones that glistened behind them. The crashing of waves could be heard from afar, the zephyr having picked up into a harsh blow. The plashing of the azure ocean water was noisy yet placid at once — calming yet distracting.

The warm sand contrasted with the deathly cold skin it touched, slowly pulling the heavy body under after weeks of abandonment. Seagulls squawked in the distance as if they were alarming the distant beachgoers of the carcass hidden away in the cavern, being fed on by creepy crawlers. A mephitic stench ghosted the air, not fitting the serene essence of the scenery, and obviously stemming from the body that rested lifelessly in the sand.

Droplets of water trailed from the entrance of the cave, slowly edging towards the corpse. The owner of the feet hunkered down clutching their stomach, the stench of rotting flesh and ocean water attacking their nostrils.

Upon approaching the trunk, a scream echoed throughout the cave, sending bats flying from their hiding places. Dropping to their knees, the person slapped their hand over their mouth and sobbed, not being able to come to terms with the scene that was in front of them.

Horripilation rashed their skin as they stared down at the withered, soulless human. Their skin was an unnatural color, their eyes had been pecked out, and their chest was sunken in.

The discoverer covered their eyes after gaping at the body for a while and shook their head. They mumbled under their breath, not believing what they'd seen with their own eyes.

"Wake up. It's just a dream."