7

Aspyn and Corpse discarded their clothing, abandoning them in the sand, before rushing into the warm water. She followed him leisurely to the cave and once there, they lifted themselves into the sand and looked at each other.

Corpse caught her off guard, grabbing onto her shoulders and pulling her into his arms - an action he'd obviously never done before. He was never forward apart from the night that be was so intoxicated he confessed his feelings to her, but physical advances was something he didn't do.

He shocked her even more when she felt his lips come into contact with her forehead. It didn't feel real.

"Go on," Corpse said while giving her a soft smile. "I'll be right behind you."

Aspyn continued forth, listening to the squawking of the seagulls and the chatter of the people having fun on the beach. Her toes sunk in the sand with each step. The sand was like a warm blanket around her feet and she liked the feeling because lately, the air around her was always cold. 

Corpse turned around and stared at the sunset, not wanting to continue into the dreadful cave that haunted his dreams. He was scared of what was to come, but invisible arms were impatiently pulling him in.

He distracted himself with the view of the sun, slowly edging its way behind cotton candy-colored clouds. Fluffy puffs of pastel sat against a fiery background, the contrasting colors fighting against one another. Vivid or mute - to speak up, or to hideaway.

He sunk his toes into the moist sand beneath him, letting it cover his toes before the waves crashed against the shore and washed it away. The once light wind blew harshly, whipping his hair across his face and caressing his already cold skin.

He could hear Aspyn's footsteps slow down and breath hitch, causing him to turn around and smile. Tears streamed down his face as everything began to make sense. It was never the house. It was him that carried the icy aura. It was him that brought along the deadly stench.

He'd been undead the entire time, his true body desperately waiting to be found. 

As he faded away into the wind, he stared at Aspyn's falling form, longing for her to turn and face him with her pretty doe eyes one more time.

Those bold eyes were as breathtaking as the dawning aurora on a warm spring day. The eyes that when flooded with tears looked like a river after a storm. The unappreciated color of brown was unique and beautiful to him. They were warm and inviting, giving him something simple to marvel in.

They made him feel at home, her eyes. They made him feel loved - which is what he'd longed for the entire time he was actually alive; however, it was too late. He wished he could've connected his eyes with hers while he was alive. Maybe she could've saved him.

He was going to miss those beautiful eyes.

He was going to miss her.

But his time on earth was over. He had someone who'd miss him, and his tethered soul was finally able to be set free.

Her piercing scream broke his heart. It was the last thing he heard before she turned around to look for him, only to find the sand fluttering around in the air, hiding the last particle of his spirit that was being blown away.

The last feeling he felt was guilt. An innocent woman unwittingly falling in love with a man that had already been gone for a long, long time - unbelievable. He was the cause of her heartbreak. It was all his fault, and if he'd known his suicide would be the cause of her downward spiral, he'd have never done it.

How was he to know he'd end up a lonely carcass, silently pleading to be found?

How was he to know he'd find love after he was already gone?

How was he to know he'd be bound to the earth until he was finally found by someone who loved him?

How was he to know he'd be the physical embodiment of the silly nickname he gave himself?

Corpse.

"Wake up," Aspyn cried to herself. "It's just a dream."

She spoke to him, she felt him, she heard him, and she loved him. 

He couldn't be gone.

She saw him.

Or maybe it was her mind playing tricks on her. Maybe it was the years of mystery novels that caught up to her, and now she was unconsciously dreaming herself into one.

Maybe she was mistaken and the body before her wasn't the one of her love.

But she knew that wasn't true. One look at the deceased person and she could tell.

He was Corpse.

And it was never just a dream.

The End

Written Nov. 23, 2021

Q&A if I ever get reads incase the story was confusing