2

"Corpse, huh?" Aspyn questioned. "I mean... he's not wrong. He does look dead from his gauntness to his stagnant saunter..."

She was peering from her window, something she found herself doing a lot more than usual after Corpse moved in. She could see the man slowly drift into a soft slumber, curled beneath his white comforter, knowing all too well that it wouldn't last long.

The first time she saw him jolt awake from his sleep was the first night he moved in. She was watching the raccoon that lived in his backyard dog around for something when she saw Corpse fly out of bed and rush out of his bedroom.

It startled her because she wasn't aware of a new neighbor. Her initial thought was that a homeless person snuck into the home to sleep, but seeing as there was now furniture inside of the once empty house, she figured she'd just missed him moving in.

The nights following the first one were the same. She'd watch the cute little raccoon dig its paws into the moist dirt behind his house and get interrupted by her neighbor speeding out of his room with his metaphorical tail tucked between his legs.

Worry began to grow within her after the fourth night. He lived alone and could barely find any sleep. She started watching him habitually out of concern. If something were to happen to him, there'd be no one there for him.

The last thing she wanted was for him to get hurt, or worse — die all alone in his home and rot until his body was so decayed you could smell it from across the sea.

"But there could be an explanation for that, Aspyn," Jadon said without looking up from his book. "Now, step away from the window. You're acting like a peeping Tom."

With an agitated huff, Aspyn shut her blinds and stomped towards the male sitting in her beanbag, "Let's go for drinks then, yea?"

"Drinks? There's wine in the cellar, Aspyn." Jadon mumbled while looking up at her.

"Wine? Wine doesn't do jack shit, Jadon." Aspyn matched his tone.

"Go drink with my replacement."

"Who? Corpse?" Aspyn snorted. "Don't tell me you're jealous!"

"I'm just sayin'! Ever since he moved in he's had all of your attention. Even before you spoke to him." Jadon dramatically sighed while slipping from the beanbag.

"As much as I'd like to get to know more about him, drinking doesn't seem like a good way to do it. Besides, he's sleeping peacefully now." Aspyn smiled as she snuck a look through the blinds again.

"Oh, you actually thought about it? Some best friend you are!"

"Jealousy's not cute on you, bubs. Is that why Emily left you?"

"I'll have you know, I left Emily."

"Whatever keeps you up at night," Aspyn chortled. "but since you don't wanna drink, why don't you go on home?"

"Wooow, kicking your own best friend out? If you wanted to cuddle with your vibrator you could've said that... but you know, my helping hand's still extended—"

"Shut the hell up. I don't have a vibrator."

Jadon stood up from the floor and grabbed his keys, "Whatever keeps you up at night." He mocked. "Literally."

On his way out of Aspyn's room, he kicked the pile of clothes that sat in the corner. As it toppled over, a gasp erupted from Aspyn. Jadon giggled teasingly as her vibrator fell to the floor, "You son of a bitch!"

☠︎︎

A few days later, Aspyn stood on Corpse's doorstep. A bright smile adorned her face as she held a warm bag of bread in her hand. She brought her fist up and wrapped the door with her knuckles a few times.