5

"I haven't seen him in two weeks..." Aspyn sighed while coming from her bedroom, having just finished peeking at Corpse from her window.

"Yes, you have. You've been watching him through the window — which is still weird, may I add."

"But he hasn't opened the door for me. He's been avoiding me. Did I do something wrong?"

"No, but he probably regrets telling you about his dreams and doesn't want to face you," Jadon said while rummaging through the cabinets. "It's not that he doesn't trust you, but he basically confessed his feelings for you and is scared that you won't return them — hence him shutting you out so he doesn't have to hear it verbally. I mean, you did storm out of his place afterward so—"

Aspyn knew he was right. Jadon was rarely wrong when it came to social things, and it was probably because he was a psychologist. He was a God at psychoanalyzing and it sometimes annoyed her, but it always helped her.

She didn't mean to leave Corpse's place after he drunkenly told her how he felt, but it caught her off guard. She'd never had a genuine relationship before, nor had anyone ever told her they felt anything other than a platonic liking for her — so for him to outrightly say he was in love with her scared her.

She was scared that he wasn't actually in love, but just thankful for her attention. It was common knowledge that he had no one before meeting Aspyn. He had no one to check on him and make sure he was okay, no one to bring him bread to make sure he was eating, and no one who'd play games with him to make sure he wasn't bored being cooped up in his house.

She was worried that he confused his appreciation for love, so she left. She already knew she had feelings for him. It was no secret. She asked him on a date for crying out loud... but she never thought he could return those feelings. She hoped he would, but she didn't think it was logical.

To hear him admit it out loud brought her nothing but doubts, so she removed herself from the scene before she broke down in front of him and accused him of lying.

"I know! It's just— I panicked! I've never had anyone feel that way about me and he just dropped the bomb like that. I realized how that made me look when I got home, but when I went back over he didn't open the door!"

"Well I wouldn't open it if I were him either... Has he still been having those nightmares?"

"Yes. Every single night and it looks like they got worse. I'm scared for him. Really scared. He isn't even waking up from them as quickly anymore..." Aspyn said solemnly. "If I hadn't left so abruptly like that, I could be there for him. I could wake him up when the nightmare begins or hold his hand until they're over."

"Just give him time, Aspyn," Jadon sighed as he finally found the seasoning he was looking for. "He'll come around. Everything will be ok."

"What if it doesn't? I mean — he's gotten even skinnier! What if it's because of me? What if I hurt his feelings and he stopped eating? He hasn't been opening the door for the bread... he loved my bread." She ranted, a sad tone lacing her voice.

"He was already rapidly losing weight before you met him. There are probably some health problems he's dealing with. I wish I could see him so I could confirm that, because you're just making assumptions at this point."

"If he does have health problems, he isn't going to the doctor! He doesn't leave home! What if he needs to be treated?"

"He's an adult Aspyn," Jadon chuckled. "He can take care of himself so if he doesn't want to go to the doctor that's his decision... but in the meantime, what's that God-awful smell? It smells like something died!"