Chapter 22

CW: some blood, injuries

---

XD sneered behind the mask, blocking an attack with his shield, parrying the other one with his sword. Y/n stumbled backwards as he parried her attack, which didn't go unnoticed by XD. Now, for a short moment he could deal with Sapnap. He took the opportunity to bash Sapnap with the shield, sending him flying to the ground, his axe falling out of his grasp. Just when he was about to eliminate Sapnap, splashes of lava landed onto the ground next to him. He jumped back, abandoning Sapnap. XD glanced up, seeing Y/n, who was holding the bucket of lava. Sapnap quickly recovered, rising to his feet and picking up the axe he dropped earlier.

"Thanks." He murmured to Y/n who nodded, charging at XD once again. Sapnap did the same, aiming at his shield in order to break it as soon as possible. Y/n, however was aiming only at XD and not his equipment. XD didn't struggle to block or evade her attacks, which was fairly surprising to her. And what surprised her even more was the lack of verbal communication from his side. Why's he so silent all the time? She thought to herself, frowning. As Sapnap kicked XD on the leg, XD hissed in pain, his posture slumping slightly. Y/n used this opportunity to swing at him. XD blocked it just in time with his sword, sending sparks all around. But the sword of hers collided with his mask, causing it to crack at the very bottom. XD's eyes widened as he saw the crack forming. He swiftly rolled away from them just in time, before Sapnap swung once again. He was panting, sheen of sweat covering his body, as he started struggling to move already. Both of the hunters were in same condition.

"Come on, just give up already!" Sapnap shouted, halting his movements to catch his breath. To his remark, XD just huffed out a dry laugh, shaking his head.
"You really think that I'll be giving up when I made so far?" He questioned, speaking for the first time since the manhunt started.
"I mean, why not?"
"It'll be humiliating." XD breathed out a sigh. Prideful motherfucker. Y/n gritted her teeth, forcing out a tense smile.
"C'mon, Sap. It's no use to talk to him like that. He's not gonna give up."
"True." He breathed out, charging once again. His shield was raised above his legs, leaving them unprotected. XD jumped aside, avoiding the slash, then tripping Sapnap, causing him to yelp. Once again, Y/n came to his rescue, but this time, XD was prepared. He blocked her attack with his shield, giving Sapnap no time to recover as he plunged the sword on the ground right next to him. Eliminated. One hunter remaining. It was 1v1 now. Y/n's eyes widened, as she jumped back, away from XD, raising her shield up. XD removed the blade from the ground, gripping the handle tighter, leaving Sapnap laying on the ground.

"Now, it's only two of us." He sang, causing Y/n to shudder.
"Yeah, and you're going down."
"Mmm...I wouldn't be so confident if I was you." She frowned and swung at him, the swing got blocked instantly.
"You." She swung once again. "Cocky." Once again. "Little. Shit." Each word was punctuated by a slash.
"Me? You're the one who's being arrogant. You brat." His voice was amused, which angered Y/n even more.
"No you." She bit back, causing him to laugh.
"Can't think of a better remark, hm?"
"Shut up." She grumbled, causing him to shake his head.
"No won't do, darling." She jumped back, creating some distance between the two. She was backing away, slowly, with him walking up. "What? You're the one who's running away now?" She didn't say anything, gaze focused on him solemnly. When he took a step forward, she took one back. Suddenly XD stopped, causing her to stop as well. "Y/n, don't move. There's a pack of wolves behind you." He spoke, his tone serious. Y/n's brain stuttered to stop, her eyes widening slightly. He's tricking her so he can catch her off guard and win.

"What-"
"I'm not joking. You better trust me, okay?" He spoke lowly. He wasn't joking... "On my command, you're going to slowly step to the left. Slowly. Don't stop until I say. Got it?" She nodded hesitantly, causing him to nod back. "Start. Slowly." She sucked in a deep breath, slowly stepping to the left. One more step. And one more. XD's eyes were glued at wolves, whose eyes were focused on the girl. Suddenly, one of them ran in her direction. Then another one. Then another. XD ran to her at the same time, in order to protect her. "Run!" He shouted and Y/n bolted forward. He ran at the wolf which now was running after Y/n. The wolf seemed to notice someone running after him, so he changed his aim, changing at XD instead.

---

"Sap!" Y/n exclaimed, catching him off guard. "Help! Wolves!" He blinked, then sprinted after Y/n, who led him to the spot where XD was. He was already fighting off the wolves, too drained out of energy to change his form. He had claw and bite marks on his body, which were bleeding horribly. His whole body was shaking, too tired, barely holding on. Sapnap and Y/n came just in time, helping him to fight off the wolves and when they did, she rushed to XD's side. She caught him just before he collapsed on the top of her, trapping her between his legs and arms. He had arms on the either side of her head, sword dropped into the blood stained grass. Y/n flushed a deep red, avoiding his studying gaze. His mask was discarded on the ground, broken into small pieces, along with a shield. XD was panting, lifting up his body from hers, supporting himself on his elbows and flashing her the dopey smile. His golden hair was damp, falling over his grey eyes, as his face was flushed from all the movement. His cheek was bleeding, there was a claw mark, dripping with blood.
"I win." She blinked, then frowned, flipping them over so she was on the top of him.
"No. I win." He groaned, annoyed and tired, slurring out 'nooooo'.

"Come on, guys, it's a draw, you can fuck later." Sapnap teased, causing her to throw a death glare at him. If looks could kill he'd be dead right now. XD just laughed dryly, facing away from her, his laugh immediately grew into a cough. He had blood dripping down his chin, staining his once white shirt.
"Don't die on me." Her voice was concerned, as she lifted off him.
"I won't. Don't worry." He smiled weakly, trying to stand up but failing. He let out another groan, this time pained.
"Sap, help him up, yeah?" Sapnap nodded, sheathing his sword and rushing to his side to lift him to his feet.
"Sorry guys. I'll have to recover for a while to teleport us back." XD announced as he was sat down under the tree, with Y/n and Sapnap both by his side.

"It's alright, just rest." She hummed, causing Sapnap to nod in agreement as well. Moments later, XD was out, head resting on her shoulder, soft exhales escaping his slightly parted lips. "Thank you." She pressed a kiss on his forehead, smiling.

"Psst. Hey, Y/n. Do you like him?" Sapnap questioned, curious.
"What? No, I- I don't know..." She stuttered out, flushing a beetroot red. "Don't question that, you idiot." Sapnap laughed lightly, shaking his head.

ǁᒷⅰ!.₋. ᓭ⍑ᒷ ⌇ꖎᒷɾꖎǁ ꖎ¦ꖌᒷ⟍̅ ⍑¦ᒲ

---