3.8 - Works Like A Charm

Ophelia Potter was always the one to help Regulus Black prepare for his Quidditch games. She was the only person he let near him on the days when he had a match. As the Seeker for the Slytherin team, his actions could make or break the game, so he needed to be in the right headspace every single time he played. 

Ophelia would always help Regulus put on his equipment and talk strategy to him. 

"You're against Hufflepuff, that Seeker is good, but he's easily distracted." Ophelia told him. 

"Are you going to distract him for me?" Regulus joked. 

"I'll cheer extra loudly every time he flies by the Slytherin stands." 

"What if you just distract me instead?" 

"That's a risk I'm willing to take." Ophelia said. "That's the thing about me, I'm willing to accept that sometimes things don't work out. Unlike you, using magic and charming that ball."

"Did I really charm that Quaffle, though? Because according to your testimony, the answer is no."

"The answer according to me now is yes. And if you keep acting all cocky, I'll go up to any professor here and tell them that I take back my testimony."

Regulus smiled, knowing Ophelia would never do what she was saying. She cared for him too strongly and enjoyed watching him play Quidditch far too much to ever stick to her empty threats.

"Well, we can't have that happen, now can we?" He said. 

"No, we can't. So act nice, or else I'll have no choice but to snitch on you."

"Well, if you were to snitch on me, as the Slytherin Seeker, I'd have to catch you before you get the chance."

Ophelia shot Regulus a mischievous grin. "Try and stop me." She said, running off, heading towards the audience stands. 

"Wh—" Regulus started, then stopping as he started to chase Ophelia across the edge of the pitch.

He chased her along the fence of the pitch, finally catching up to her just a few metres away from the bottom of the staff stands. When he caught up, he wrapped his arms around Ophelia's chest, stopping her from running any farther. 

She let out a playful squeal when he grabbed her from behind, and stopped running. 

"Caught you." Regulus said as he let go of Ophelia. "Now you can't say anything to the professors." 

"Fine." Ophelia giggled. "But you better be careful in the future."

"Starting next game." Regulus said. "I promise."

"Good. And good luck up there."

"I've said it before, I don't need luck."

----------

The game was only five minutes in, and not a single goal has been scored for either team. Without knowing the players, and only judging by appearances. Hufflepuff Seeker against Regulus Black would be considered an unfair match. The Hufflepuff was in his seventh year at Hogwarts. He was older, taller, and stronger, but Regulus had the better Quidditch skills.

Ophelia had her eye on Regulus, and nothing seemed to stand out this game just yet. It usually took the Seekers a while to even spot the Golden Snitch, so it wasn't out of the ordinary for the Seekers to just be looking around at the start of the game. 

What was also not out of the ordinary was the fact that the Snitch kept dodging the Hufflepuff Seeker. The Golden Snitch was a ball whose only purpose was mischief. It had the job of flying around in confusing patterns and running away from the Seekers. 

The one thing out of the ordinary was the fact that after a few minutes of the game, the Golden Snitch started to ease up on taunting Regulus. It was slowing down, it stopped flying in bizarre patterns, and it seemed to allow Regulus to chase it. 

The Snitch was easing up on Regulus, while it was still dodging the Hufflepuff boy. After about thirty seconds of the Snitch flying in a straight path and Regulus catching up to it, he could finally catch the ball.  

He reached out his arm, and the Golden Snitch practically landed in his hand. The game was immediately declared over, with Slytherin winning one hundred and fifty points to nothing. 

Ophelia saw what happened, and immediately knew what was going on. She could feel the rage boiling in her chest, and she knew she had to confront Regulus. Regulus cheated again, and Ophelia was the only one who noticed.