4.5 - Merry Controversy

It was the first winter break that the Potters shared with Sirius Black. Everyone living in the Potter household enjoyed that arrangement, as it provided Sirius with a loving home, and company for all three children. 

While he's been living with the Potters, Sirius has found time to bond with Ophelia, as she was the younger sister of his best friend and the best friend of his estranged younger brother, yet Sirius had never really taken the time to get to know her before. 

Over the summer, the school year, and the current winter break, Sirius and Ophelia had become closer than the two of them were with their own siblings. They enjoyed each other's company, and rarely ever had opposing opinions, except for their thoughts on family and friends. 

The problems started when they hung out with new people in addition to the two of them. When James would get curious about their conversations, and then attempt to pry in between them, or when Regulus' contempt for his brother made him jealous. 

That was the case for a plain afternoon near the end of this winter break, where James intruded into a simple conversation between Sirius and Ophelia, bringing a plethora of complications along with him. 

The two familial outcasts were conversing about some of the professors at school, and were in agreement about most of them. 

"As long as you run fast and don't look back, he'll usually let you go without any punishment." Sirius said, giving advice to the girl about Professor Flitick. 

"I can't run quickly at all, though." Ophelia told Sirius.

"Neither can he, that's the point. Plus he's pretty easy-going so there's no need to worry about your speed."

Ophelia laughed, then commented how she should be writing all of Sirius' advice down for when they all go back to school. She started to ask him a question about the punishment styles of another teacher, when James walked in. 

James noticed the change in the air of the room that occured when he walked inside, then cracked a half-joke to ease any possible tension. 

"Well, don't let me interrupt you two, keep discussing your crushes or whatever you were saying."

Ophelia had forgotten what she was about to ask, but quickly formulated a new comment to lubricate the conversation. 

"Have you ever been in trouble with Slughorn? He's so nice as long as you're one of his favourite students." 

"Never trouble, but close. I never had him as a professor, but your brother had him, and I've seen him around the school and all." Sirius said. "One time, I could have sworn he saw me change into my animagus form, but he just treated me like a normal dog and walked away."

"You're telling her about being an animagus?" James asked Sirius, with a confused look on his face. 

Sirius and Ophelia both shrugged, and Ophelia let out a tiny giggle as well. She would never admit it, even to herself, but seeing her brother out of the loop and confused actually amused her.

"It just slipped out one day." Sirius said. "But she promised she would keep quiet about it."

"I'm fairly good at keeping secrets." She said.

She wasn't lying. Though she was a good person, she definitely had some secrets hidden up her sleeve.

"Really?" James said.

He was doubting that his sister was the type to keep secrets. Clearly, they've grown apart since they've been at Hogwarts, since Ophelia hasn't been her old, goody two shoes self in years.

"Of course." Ophelia smirked.

"No way." Sirius chuckled. "No, I don't believe it. I just can't see little Miss Potter here as someone with secrets."

"Well, believe it." She said. "You know, the other day, I even lied to Dumbledore."

"No you didn't." James doubted.

"I did. We were skipping class, and then we sort of got caught by Dumbledore, so I had to come up with a lie on the spot to keep us out of trouble."

"Who's 'we'?" Sirius asked. "Who were you with?"

"Reggie and Barty." Ophelia said, even though she wasn't planning on telling James and Sirius that she was still friends with Regulus. She caught herself saying his name, but it was too late. 

James raised an eyebrow. "You're still hanging out with them? I thought you swore off them or something."

Sirius looked over at Ophelia, but not in an upset way. He was more just confused and curious. 

"I mean, Regulus apologised for what happened at the Hufflepuff match last year." Ophelia shrugged. 

"So that's it?" James asked, getting frustrated. 

"We're friends again. What else do you want?"

"You're seriously just fine with him again? After everything he's done?"

"After everything he's done to me?" Sirius interjected, his eyes now glassy with a thin layer of tears.

"He's a good person!" Ophelia raised her voice. "And I care about him and I believe that it's just the people around him doing everything wrong."

"No, you're just—" James said, but was immediately cut off by Ophelia.

"No, James doesn't get to talk and I won't let Sirius speak either if all he has to say is going to be negative!" She shouted. 

Sirius leaned in, looking Ophelia in the eyes. "Ophelia, I'm not here to protest, I just want to talk about it."

Ophelia started to realise that she was in the wrong. Sirius had the right approach to have a two-sided conversation, and Ophelia almost gave in. She couldn't, though, as giving in would let everyone know that she was weak and that there were, in fact, problems with Regulus.

"No." She said calmly. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say about him since you're clearly both biased against him. I can talk to you when you're alright with seeing my side as well."

She stood up and started walking towards the door of the dining room, not interested in hearing anyone's negative opinions on Regulus, per usual.

"Ophelia, could you just please listen to us?" Sirius asked. 

But there was practically no getting through to her after the way James tried to approach the situation. She had changed her mind since the summer, and she was no longer mad at Regulus. Her anger had shifted to, and was to stay with, her brother James.