5.7 - Spring Season

Springtime at Hogwarts means Quidditch. The players return from their winter break, practice for a little bit, and then hop right back into the game. 

Every single student knew at least one person on one of the Quidditch teams, which means everyone, player or not, was excited about the first game of the spring season. 

Lily Evans watched James Potter and Sirius Black. Pandora watched her boyfriend, Xenophilius. And Ophelia had two fewer players to watch now that she was no longer on speaking terms with James and Sirius, so now she was mainly focused on Regulus as he won most of the games for the Slytherin team.

For the first time in years, she could focus completely on herself and her friends.

Ophelia and Regulus walked down to the pitch together half an hour before the game was set to start. They went down to the players tent, and did exactly what they've always done before Quidditch games.

She helped Regulus get into all of his equipment and gave him one of her famous pre-game pep talks. 

"You're always the best player out there." Ophelia assured Regulus as she assisted him with his shoulder pads. She straightened them up from the front, then helped him put his jersey over his clunky equipment. 

She pulled out Regulus' silver chain necklace from under his shirt, and laid it out over his uniform.

"There you go." She smiled. "You're all ready to go."

"Thanks." Regulus said, grabbing the broomstick laid out against the wall of the tent. 

Ophelia grabbed her woolen gloves out of her pocket. Her hands were freezing, but she took off the gloves to help Regulus get ready. She quickly put them on her frosty fingers, and was ready to head out to the stands.

Before she could leave, Regulus called her name from the other side of the tent and caught her attention. 

"I just wanted to let you know that hanging out with you like this is probably one of my favourite parts of Quidditch." He told her with a simple smile strung across his face.

Ophelia smiled as well. Her cheeks became rosy, but that could have just as easily been because of the early spring windchill as it could have been because of the compliment. 

"I think you are my favourite part of the game." She said. 

"I am?" He asked with a flirty smirk on his face, fishing for compliments. 

"It's a fun game, but it's not nearly as enjoyable without you."

"Wow, Potter, I've never been more flattered." 

"I doubt that." She laughed. "But, good luck out there. I'll be cheering you on, like always."

The two smiled at each other once more, then each left to get ready for the game. Ophelia headed up to the Slytherin stands and sat down. She had a bashful grin on her face that she couldn't explain nor get rid of, and it stayed there for quite a while. 

----------

Slytherin was tied with Ravenclaw, both teams holding thirty points each. They had been tied the entire game, and the skill sets of the players seemed to match each other exactly. The teams were neck and neck, and tensions were high amongst everyone there. 

The match seemed to be going on forever, like the players were trying to help the opposite team. No more points were being scored, so most students had realised that it was going to be up to the Seekers to save this game. 

Unfortunately for them, the Golden Snitch was being extra mischievous for that game. It was flying extremely far away from the Seekers and sending them on a wild goose chase just to get near it. Everyone was struggling, and most were losing hope. 

Ophelia felt the need to help move the game along, but had a strong objection to cheating in any way. She quickly brainstormed ways to help her team, and landed on one that was easy and fair. 

The Seekers were flying around the pitch, looking for the Golden Snitch, which was across the pitch from them. 

When the Ravenclaw Seeker was on the other side of the pitch, Ophelia could get Regulus' attention and give him a bit of help. 

"Reggie!" She called out as he flew by. 

He and his broomstick halted when he heard Ophelia's voice. He went over to the stands, as close as he could without crossing the boundary line. 

"I just wanted to let you know you might want to sneak over to the Ravenclaw hoops." Ophelia told him. "As long as you go quietly, I think you'll like what you find."

Regulus immediately knew what she was talking about, and was grateful for the piece of advice. 

"Thank you very much, dear." He said with a wink, turning his broomstick around and starting to sneak across the pitch. 

He made his way over to the Ravenclaw hoops, trying to be inconspicuous so the Ravenclaw Seeker wouldn't notice him. He snuck over and sure enough, Ophelia was right and the Snitch was right there. He knew that if she was right about that, she would likely be right about strategy, as the aggressive approach wasn't working before. 

Trying not to make a single noise, Regulus crept up as close as he could to the golden ball. He paused, then snatched it up quickly before it had the chance to fly away from him. 

In shock that he could even come close to the ball, Regulus checked his hand to make sure he caught it. Hesitantly, he turned his fist to face him, and was ecstatic to see the Golden Snitch inside his hand. 

There was a brief pause of silence, and then the game was called to an end. Remus Lupin announced that Slytherin had won, and the crowd went wild. Ophelia Potter, especially. Her best friend had just won another Quidditch game for their team, and she had helped him do it. 

She cheered for her team in glee, then rushed down to the ground to meet Regulus. 

The grounds were crowded with students and Ophelia couldn't find Regulus, so she waited off to the side, leaning against the fence. 

She got distracted and started staring off into the horizon as she waited. Then, all of a sudden, a familiar voice called out her name and snapped her out of her trance. 

"Ophelia Potter, you are my absolute favourite person!" Regulus said, looking delighted. 

"Oh my Merlin! You were so good out there!" She said, embracing Regulus in an excited hug. 

"I was good? I was only doing what you told me!"

"But you're the only one who did it! You're probably the best Seeker that this school has ever seen!"

Ophelia let go of her friend, and was left with candy pink cheeks and a giant smile. 

"So much flattery from you today." Regulus commented. "But seriously, I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you."

Regulus planted a kiss on Ophelia's forehead, which only caused her to blush more, and the two of them headed into Hogwarts to meet the rest of their friends to celebrate.