Chapter 9

Rose’s POV, 8 months later

I groaned as I sat up in bed, swinging my feet out. I took a breath as I stood up, and made my way to the bathroom. After doing my business, I walked back out to find Raylan sitting on our bed. I sighed halfheartedly, as Raylan motioned for me to sit down on his lap.

I chuckled, as I slowly walked over. “Are you sure you want this balloon belly on top of you?”

Raylan laughed, as I sat down on his lap. “Obviously, Rose, or I wouldn’t have asked.”

I let out a breath. “This is really taking a toll on me, babe. I want this kid to hurry up and get here.”

Just then, I felt a kick from inside my stomach, and I smiled wide. I grabbed Raylan’s hand instantly, and gently placed it on my very pregnant belly. His eyes started to glisten with slight tears, and his lips curled into a soft smile.

“Wow.” He said quietly. His eyes met mine, and he gripped my chin lightly. Our lips connected, and I smiled against the kiss.

“I can’t believe this is happening. I didn’t think it could ever happen.” I admitted, after pulling back.

“Darlin’, this is how everything is supposed to be. I’m over the moon. I’m happy you decided to stop in Harlan.” Raylan replied, smirking.

I giggled in return. “Oh yeah, definitely. I brought all my baggage with me. Literally.” I stated, letting out a slight chuckle.

“I didn’t care about your baggage then, and I don’t care now. You’re perfect in my eyes, Miss Rose James.” Raylan responded, a genuine softness in his eyes.

At that, I stood up, smirking down at him, while he gripped my hand.

“What’s the plan for today?” I asked.

“Whatever you want.”

A couple hours later

I licked my ice cream cone happily. I caught Raylan’s eye, and he smirked, watching me do so. I started to seductively lick with my tongue, and Raylan’s eyes twinkled. I let out a laugh, and playfully pushed him.

“Control your thoughts.” I stated, a smile playing on my lips.

Raylan chuckled. “Why?”

I rolled my eyes in a joking manner, and motioned with my hand towards my stomach. “I think this is a pretty good indication as to why.”

Raylan winked sexily, and took a lick of his own ice cream cone. I giggled at this, causing him to look back at me, eyebrow raised. I bit my lip.

“What?” he asked.

“You look so cute when you eat ice cream.” I admitted, feeling a small blush blooming on my cheeks. After all this time, he still caused me to do that.

Raylan laughed in response. “Do I now?”

I opened my mouth to speak, and suddenly I felt strange. I could feel a wetness below my stomach, and my eyes widened.

“Um, Raylan…” I trailed off, and by the looks of his expression, my face said it all.

He stood up, dropping the ice cream on the counter.

“Let’s go, darlin’.” He spoke, wrapping an arm around my waist, supporting me to the car.

“Where’s the nearest hospital?” I managed to choke out amid the painful contractions.

“A couple miles, babe. Hang in there.” Raylan reassured me, and I forced a small smile, as I tried to keep my breathing under control.

Time was lost on me. It was all a blur, but we eventually arrived at the hospital. Bustles of nurses and people surrounded me, as they helped me into a wheelchair. I felt Raylan’s hand gripping mine, as they wheeled me down a long hallway.

“I’m right here, darlin’.”

I nodded in understanding, because at this point, the contractions were starting to come more rapidly and with more intense pain.

“Raylan!!” I yelled, breathing heavily.

“What? What’s wrong?” Raylan managed to reply as I was lead to a bed, and everything was set up for delivery.

“I don’t know if I’m ready. I’m scared.” I cried out, as he came around to the side of the bed that was free of any people. His hand found mine, and he squeezed it.

“Rose, you can do this. We can do this. I believe in you.”

I smiled, happy tears in my eyes. That was all I needed.

After that, everything was a blur. All I remember is pushing, and pushing hard.

And two and a half hours later, our daughter was born.

Tears ran down my cheeks as the nurse placed her in my arms.

I looked at Raylan, then back to our daughter.

“She’s beautiful.” I whispered.

“What’s her name?” Raylan managed to choke out, signaling he was on the verge of crying.

“Juliet Rose. That’s her name.” I looked to Raylan for agreement, and he nodded.

I handed Juliet to Raylan, and I smiled with happiness at the adoring look he gave her. He planted a kiss on her forehead, and then met my gaze. I smiled contently, as my eyelids grew heavy, and I fell asleep.