Chapter 4

Rose's POV, The next day

I turned off the water from the shower, and threw on my clothes. I was all smiles, and I all I could think about was Raylan.

I walked out of the bathroom, and gasped, clutching my chest.

"Hello darlin'." Raylan greeted with a smirk from the armchair in the corner.

I let out a relieved laugh, and looked at him.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I scolded, as he approached me, and took me in his arms.

"Well, I'm sorry. I meant to surprise you." He chuckled, planting a kiss on my cheek.

I giggled, putting my hands on my hips.

"What's the surprise?" I asked, raising an eyebrow playfully.

"It's 'Bring your Girlfriend to Work' day." Raylan replied with a smirk.

I laughed. "Oh really? Is it now?"

Raylan laughed, wrapping his arms around my waist. "No."

I grabbed my bag, and followed him out to his car.

"Well then, won't you get in trouble for bringing me there?" I asked, getting into the passenger side.

"The U.S. Marshall doesn't get in trouble." Raylan replied, a slight smirk on his face.

I followed Raylan into the station, noticing heads turning to stare at us hand in hand.

I guess Raylan could feel me tense up, because his grip on my hand tightened.

He led me to his desk, and motioned for me to sit down in the chair, opposite his.

I obeyed, and watched him sit down across from me.

"Raylan!"

At this, I turned my head to find a bald, middle aged guy, approaching us.

He smiled at me, and then turned to Raylan.

"Who's this?" he asked him.

"This is Rose James, Art. My girlfriend. Rose, this is Art. My boss." He replied, smiling gently at me.

I blushed a little in response to 'girlfriend', and Art chuckled, and held out his hand for me to shake.

"Nice to meet ya, Miss Rose." He greeted, as I shook his hand.

I nodded. "Nice to meet you too, sir."

Art smiled, and turned to Raylan. "Don't be distracted."

Raylan smirked at me. "I'll try my best, sir."

I laughed, sitting back in the seat.

After a couple minutes of work, somehow I ended up on Raylan's lap, and we were laughing and teasing each other. Our fun was cut off by a stern voice.

"Hello Raylan."

Raylan and I both looked up to see none other than Boyd Crowder.

Raylan cleared his throat. "What do ya want, Boyd?"

"I want my cell phone. You never gave it back to me last time you arrested me."

Raylan sighed, as I got off his lap, and let him up to go find it.

I went to go follow him, but I was stopped with a hand on my wrist.

Boyd leaned in. "Don't think I haven't forgotten what you did." He whispered in my ear.

I inhaled a sharp breath, as Boyd released my wrist, just as Raylan came back with his cell phone.

"Take it, and get out." Raylan scowled.

Boyd smiled in thanks, and shot a quick, evil glance at me. My heart skipped a beat.

With that, he walked out of the station. I stood there in shock, unable to move. I didn't think he would ever find out. I thought I caught a clean break. Never in a million years would I have thought his connections from where I came from would come back to haunt me here.

Raylan gripped my arm gently.

"Rose? What's wrong?" he asked, worry written on his face.

I took a deep breath, and forced a nervous smile.

"Raylan, I have to tell you something."