Chapter 4 - Girl in New Orleans

Hayley and I were sitting in the living room with Agnes, one of the witches, she had come over to insist I see a doctor about the baby.

"I told you, Agnes," I said, flipping a page of the book I was reading. "I feel great."

I was telling the truth, I feel much better now that the morning sickness is no longer burdening me.

"You are overdue for a check-up," she told me.

"What am I gonna do?" I said, throwing the book onto the coffee table. "Pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound? A pregnant werewolf escorted by a witch, nothing to see here!"

"A lot of women would kill to have a child, strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours," Rebekah said as she typed on the laptop.

"I know a doctor out in the Bayou, off the beaten path," Agnes said. "I took the liberty of making an appointment for you. Tonight, after hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it."

I looked at Agnes then at Hayley before rolling my eyes. "Okay, fine. Bayou baby doctor it is."

The three of us got up and left Rebekah alone.

~*~*~

It was dark now and we were in Agnes' car driving up to a dingy-looking house in the middle of the woods.

"This is the doctor's office?" I asked, incredulous.

"Dr. Paige is only this far out because Marcel's men kept terrorizing her patients. Go, she won't bite."

I hesistated, did I really want to let some doctor who lives in the middle of the freaking woods examine me? I slowly got out of the car and walked into the creepy house. Hayley and Agnes followed me. They waited by the door while Dr. Paige began the ultrasound.

"Your baby's heart rate is perfect," she told me.

Hayley sighed, relieved. "I knew it, she's a tough one like her mom."

We shared a smile as I wiped the gel off and sat back up.

"That's a unique birthmark."

Hayley walked over to us as I quickly covered up my birthmark. "We're pretty much done here, right?"

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I picked it and saw that Rebekah had texted me.

Where are you?

"Your blood pressure's a bit high," I looked at the doctor. "I've got something for it."

I saw Hayley watch her with suspicion as she walked out, passing Agnes. I started to text Rebekah.

Bayou clinic with doctor.

Suddenly, I heard a wolf howl, which made me go over to the window and that's when I saw headlights. A car was approaching, which made me nervous. Did someone know we were here?

I saw Dr. Paige and Agnes talking before the doctor came over with some pills and some water.

"Ah, you know, I'm not really that good with pills," I told her.

"Well, me neither, truth be told."

I heard the door creak and saw some guys talking to Agnes, something didn't feel right . . .

"Nina!" Hayley, yelled, alerting me.

I turned around in time to see the doctor come towards me about to inject me with something and I hated needles. I grabbed her arm and headbutted her to stop her then I grabbed the syringe and jabbed her in the neck, Hayley ran to the door and locked it..