Chapter 17 - Moon Over Bourbon Street

Tonight is a full moon and I was standing by the bonfire, waiting for the moon to reach its apex. Once the Crescent wolves become human, we can feed them the paste and break the curse.

I ran my hand over my stomach in anticipation, soon I can free my family and Hayley can finally meet Jackson.

Once the wolves turned human, I handed the jar to Jackson, who poured it into a pot of food. Everybody ate it and we all waited to see if the curse had been broken.

The moon was shrouded by clouds and I looked towards Hayley and saw her turn back, then I looked at everybody else and saw they were still human. I let out a laugh of relief and wrapped my arms around Jackson.

It worked, it actually worked.

While everybody cheered and embraced each other, I introduced Hayley to my brother.

~*~*~

The next day, the guys in the pack were sparing and I was watching along with everyone else, I looked up when Jackson walked over to me.

"Shouldn't you be out there playing Fight Club with the rest of the frat boys?" I asked.

"Nah, that's just for pecking order," he said with a smirk. "They already know who's the Alpha."

When the match was over, a guy with blond hair named Oliver cheered. "Next up, let's go!"

Jackson and I went inside to eat, I smiled when I saw Hayley approach us. I grabbed a plate and looked at all the food, not knowing what I should eat.

"You gotta try Tucker's ribs," Jackson said as Hayley lit a candle.

"What then? We're gonna play horseshoes?" I teased.

"Hey, don't mock country living, darling," he replied.

"Sorry, this is just a lot more family fun than I'm used to," I admitted.

"Well, maybe I can help you get used to it," Jackson said, looking between Hayley and I. "Both of you."

I smiled, faintly as I looked at my best friend.

"Then all we gotta do is forget they've spent half their lives with humans and the other half with vampires," Oliver said, taking a bite of food.

"Ollie," Jackson said in a warning tone. "Back off."

"It's okay," I said. "If the runt of the litter's got something to say, he should say it."

Oliver laughed. "You know, word from the Quarter is your boy Elijah's holding some kind of power summit. Guess who wasn't invited?"