Chapter 20 - A Closer Walk with Thee

I had learned from Klaus that Father Kieran had died because of that damn hex the witches put on him, so while everyone else stayed in the Bayou, I decided to go pay my respects and ask Klaus about the moonlight rings.

When I entered Rousseau's, I saw Cami walk past me after storming out of the kitchen and I saw Francesca had just left that area as well. I furrowed my brows, curious and distrustful. I think the reason I didn't really trust her was because the suicide bomber who came to the Bayou owed her family money.

I sat down at the table where Klaus and Elijah were seated, I sat next to Elijah and opposite Klaus.

"I will warn you, Nina, Niklaus is in a spectacularly foul mood today," Elijah told me.

"Sod off," his brother replied, bitterly.

"What's the deal with these moonlight rings?" I asked the Hybrid. "Oliver is trying to set a revolution every five seconds. People are scared, angry and frankly, I'm tired of stalling."

"It's a day of peace, Nina," Klaus said, looking at me. "Try to enjoy it. In the meantime, with all manner of unknown enemies conspiring against  our family, you'll move back in with us."

I raised my eyebrows and smiled, sarcastically. "Awesome. Then we can do that thing where you lock me in the tower, I escape, there's drama and then you two realize that I'm very capable of looking after myself."

"The rings are in progress, I will live up to my word, we will find and punish whoever launched the attack on the Bayou and you will return to the compound for your own safety. But right now, I'm gonna finish this bottle and then the next in the hopes of drowning the demon that has chosen today to haunt me. Cheers, Mikael! Impeccable Freudian timing."

Elijah looked at his brother with an uneasy expression. "Elaborate. Have you dreamt of our father?"

"Go ahead, have a good laugh."

"I can assure you that this is no piece of this that I even find remotely amusing, Niklaus. Especially considering I've been dreaming of him too."

"What?"

I looked between the brothers with astonishment. They're both dreaming of Mikael, the vampire who hunts vampires? What does that mean?

"If you are also seeing him . . . " Elijah trailed off before looking up to see Genevieve in the crowd. "Perhaps our elusive unknown enemy is orchestrating a further attack."

Klaus looked at the witch too, who smiled at him, slyly.

"Well then, what better way to punctuate a day of peace than by killing someone," Klaus said and he put on a smile and waved at the redhead.

~*~*~

 After Klaus and Elijah left to ask Genevieve about their dreams about Mikael, I decided to pay Francesca Correa a visit. I needed some answers.

She stopped short when she saw me sitting on the steps. "Uh, Nina, right? I'm guessing you're not here because you wanna make a new friend."

"I don't count terrorists as friends," I told her as I stood up.

"Wow, I've been accused of everything from grand larceny to blackmail but terrorist? That's new."

"A human pulled up to the Bayou on a motorcycle and blew himself up," I informed her.

"I heard," she nodded. "Awful. Good night."

She grabbed her house keys and went to open the door and when I turned around, her guy grabbed me. So I kneed him in the crotch and bashed his head against the stone vase next to me. Francesca looked at me, shocked as I approached her.